Best translation?

Taopage

Mar 29, 2024, 12:43:47 AMMar 29
to iching...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
What is the best English translation of I Ching, I mean the one that you use?

Thanks.

Taoism

Mar 29, 2024, 2:23:08 AMMar 29
to iching...@googlegroups.com
James Legge.

Ana Styla

Mar 30, 2024, 1:48:47 AMMar 30
to iching...@googlegroups.com
Legge and some others more specific on Chinese ancient texts, habbits and mores.

Aidyn Shekihan

Mar 30, 2024, 6:38:13 AMMar 30
to iching...@googlegroups.com

I have a bookshelf of I Ching books and each is very special for me. Most frequently used by me are the following ones.

1.       The I Ching – The Book of Answers – Wu Wei – 2005 Edition

2.       The Complete I Ching – Definitive Translation of Taoist Master Alfred Huang – 2004 Edition

3.       Total I Ching – Myths of Change – Stephen Karcher – 2004

4.       Modern Poet’s I Ching – by Thom Williams – free download available here:  https://idoc.pub/download/the-modern-poets-i-ching-by-thom-williams-pqn88pr5k8n1

For more detailed list of resources feel free to visit https://www.iching360.com/IChing_Books

Taopage

Mar 30, 2024, 10:45:37 PMMar 30
to iching...@googlegroups.com
Why do you think Legge is the best?

anastyla

Apr 8, 2024, 12:00:19 AMApr 8
to iching...@googlegroups.com
Because its answers prove to match better the ulterior happening.
Wilhelm's version is too much Christian , its comments are out of the scope of the I Ch.
Huang, Blofeld and newer translations rarely match later events.

Taopage

Apr 15, 2024, 4:59:42 AMApr 15
to iching...@googlegroups.com
Then the "better" is not a matter of facebook "like"? One should check and see what is the best version in connection with the rate of precise answers?

anastyla

Apr 16, 2024, 3:17:04 AMApr 16
to iching...@googlegroups.com
Yes, it is a matter of statistics.

teo becu

Apr 16, 2024, 6:03:10 AMApr 16
to iching...@googlegroups.com
The one I like best is The Complete I Ching by Alfred Huang.

And maybe it´s about statistics yet also about what resonates with each person.

TEO

anastyla

Taopage

teo becu

Apr 19, 2024, 10:40:45 AMApr 19
to iching...@googlegroups.com
Resoantes and means something and/ or gets understood better.

In fact I use this one and the Wilhem translation at the same time. Each me different aproach to the answer.

TEO

Taopage

Apr 19, 2024, 1:59:58 PMApr 19
to iching...@googlegroups.com
Can you, please, give us an example?

teo becu

Apr 20, 2024, 1:43:16 AMApr 20
to iching...@googlegroups.com
It is self explaining.

I use the divination sticks or coins.

Then I read the answers first in one book and then in the other.
Writing down the more relevant bits.

Cheers

 Teo

Taopage

Apr 28, 2024, 10:30:23 PMApr 28
to iching...@googlegroups.com
This is what we all do. It is the basic procedure.

But I asked for an example of a question worked out with Huang and the confirmation of the prediction.