Aquarium Ich Update

carlrs

Apr 25, 2011, 5:00:30 PM4/25/11
to ich-tr...@googlegroups.com
I updated the Aquarium Ich article in both layout and information.

This update also includes a customer feedback in the sidebar where he noted the importance of higher pH and mineralization when Malachite Green is used (sadly Malachite Green has been given a bad rap especially in Yahoo Answers when it has been misuse that is the cause of poor results or fish deaths)

Aquarium Ich

Carl

Steven

Jul 10, 2012, 8:27:32 PM7/10/12
to ich-tr...@googlegroups.com
We updated the Aquarium Ich in content, layout, index, and a new banner (by Steven)

Worth checking out, even if you have already read this article!

Aquarium Ich

Carl

Steven

Nov 14, 2012, 7:33:49 PM11/14/12
to ich-tr...@googlegroups.com, ca...@americanaquariumproducts.com
I updated the Aquarium Ich article.

In particular I updated the Cryptocaryon section with emphasis in prevention

Carl

Steven

Feb 26, 2013, 7:54:44 PM2/26/13
to ich-tr...@googlegroups.com, ca...@americanaquariumproducts.com
We have updated the Aquarium Ich Article; Freshwater & Saltwater.

We improved the 'flow' of the article, as well we added a pdf article download of the complete article

Carl

Steven

Jun 10, 2014, 4:43:04 PM6/10/14
to ich-tr...@googlegroups.com, ca...@americanaquariumproducts.com
I have once more updated this popular article about freshwater and saltwater Ich

Here is a snip
For Scale-less or Delicate Fish, use Malachite Green at a quarter to half dose along with Triple Sulfa at full strength. The safest treatment for scale-less fish is Quinine Hydrochloride, but this is less effective than other medication treatments, although it can be combined with half or quarter strength Malachite Green for more effectiveness.
Another point as to Triple Sulfa is, even with less sensitive fish such as Goldfish; the use of Triple Sulfa still buffers the harsh effects of Malachite Green and more importantly for fish that are not that sensitive to Malachite Green and are kept in a healthy KH and properly mineralized aquarium the use of Triple Sulfa is excellent for fin damage that is a common secondary infection with Ich outbreaks! The use of Regular Wonder shells are also useful for the mineral cations necessary for buffering and disease prevention.

Reference:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Ich.html

Carl

Steven

Jul 8, 2014, 7:54:48 PM7/8/14
to ich-tr...@googlegroups.com, ca...@americanaquariumproducts.com
We have once again up dated the "aAquarium Ich" article, in particular the section dealing with marine Ich (Cryptocaryon)

Here is a quote from this section:
Despite some anecdotal comments I have read in a few forums, while a "dip" may be stressful, I have yet to loose a marine fish in 100s if not 1000s of freshwater dips of marine fish assuming the fish was not already "on its way out". Often even fish that were lying on the bottom with a Cryptocaryon or Oodinium infection would perk up after the dip.

Where I would not consider a dip worth the time is if you have a Reef Aquarium with many prize corals, clams, anemones, etc. and chasing around a few Percula Clowns is simply not worth the trouble and potential destruction of your "reef".
In this case of just a few fish in a primarily reef tank, I would simply use some feeding methods such as Garlic, as well as improved Redox from a Level One or Two UV Sterilizer and hope for the best (which it likely will not be enough once an infection has gotten a foothold), and if not simply let the fish die and replace the fish after 6 weeks weeks when the Cryptocaryon has died off from lack of a host.

Reference:
http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Ich.html#marine

Steven