Concerned about loose file modes on installation files

Douglas Goodall

Dec 9, 2016, 1:24:34 PM12/9/16
to ICEcoder
I successfully installed ICEcode 5.7 today on CentOS 7 and it seems to be working. I am however concerned about the protection level of the installed files.

Normally I run cgi scripts as 755 so they can only be modified using the owner userid.

Am I needlessly concerned about the vulnerability? Or is this ok for some reason I don't understand yet?

Thanks,
Doug

Matt Pass

Jan 26, 2017, 8:15:10 AM1/26/17
to ICEcoder
Sorry for the delay in replying. The dirs.mentioned need to be writeable by PHP - which can be done by changing the permissions or ownership, the latter you're right - is often seen as a better solution.

Thanks
Matt