running ICEcoder on Ubuntu Server 16.04

kim holder

Jan 7, 2017, 5:00:28 PM1/7/17
to ICEcoder
Hi. I'm trying to set up a proper web design environment after a couple of years of doing it all in a text editor and then loading it in a browser and refreshing. So i installed a VM Ubuntu Server with LAMP - that's what happened when I tried to open ICEcoder on my regular Ubuntu desktop and found the instructions seemed to imply you needed a server.

Now i'm trying to run ICEcoder from within Firefox. When i point it to ICEcoder's folder it wants to open a file, not the folder, and it doesn't work. As for write permissions, i installed Unity on the server, and i can change the write permissions for Owner, Group, and Others by right clicking and going and working with a pop-up menu. Can i do it that way?

I have never run a server, and am doing this for this specific purpose alone. I also figured as I progress it could be a good idea, but right now i just need to redesign my website, i'm just trying to handle the css, html, and js right now.

I'm hoping you can walk me through this, or give me a few tips. It looks like a very good program.

Matt Pass

Jan 26, 2017, 8:25:39 AM1/26/17
to ICEcoder
Hi Kim

You should be able to run this fine on any LAMP based setup really, as long as it has PHP 5.0+. You can even use it under XAMPP for PCs and MAMP for Macs. no need especially for an actual server, though if you have one, you can use it there.

If you add ICEcoder in the root of your domain (eg localhost or mydomain.com), in say the ICEcoder folder, you can go localhost/ICEcoder or mydomain.com/ICEcoder as appropriate and see the editor, set a password, login etc?

As for permissions, it depends - you may need only say 755 on those required and it'll work. Best to start off with as few permissions as needed and increase them if needed and you're happy to do that.

You can also visit localcost/ICEcoder/test.php or mydomain.com//ICEcoder/test.php which checks all seems OK for it to run.

Matt