New icat snapshots

Steve Fisher

Sep 14, 2015, 10:37:06 AM9/14/15
to icatgroup
Snapshots of authn.anon, authn.db, authn.ldap, authn.simple along with a new icat.server 4.6 which requires these updated authenticators and a new icat.client 4.6 to talk to the server have been made available and are linked from: http://icatproject.org/releases/snapshot-releases/. The new  client is only needed to access the new functionality otherwise the 4.5 client should be fine.

Steve

Steve Fisher

Sep 14, 2015, 11:17:22 AM9/14/15
to icatgroup
The icat.server SNAPSHOT has just been updated to v4

Steve Fisher

Sep 16, 2015, 5:34:16 AM9/16/15
to icatgroup
To fix a bug spotted by Rolf where the log4j.properties entry in the icatproperties has become compulsory a new version v5 of the icat.server SNAPSHOT is now linked from http://icatproject.org/releases/snapshot-releases/ where the log4j.properties is now optional again as intended.

Rolf also pointed out a problem with the server reporting "Attempting to execute an operation on a closed EntityManagerFactory". This is an annoying feature of glassfish. The easiest way to restore is to undeploy the icat.server if it is deployed. Do asadmin stop-domain. Then rm -rf ...glassfish4/glassfish/domains/domain1/osgi-cache/felix where .... depends upon your installation. Then asadmin start-domain and run setup -v install again for the icat.server. This procedure causes glassfish to forget its state.

Steve

Rolf Krahl

Sep 16, 2015, 9:39:33 AM9/16/15
to icat...@googlegroups.com
Steve,

Am Mittwoch, 16. September 2015, 02:34:16 schrieb Steve Fisher:
> To fix a bug spotted by Rolf where the log4j.properties entry in the
> icatproperties has become compulsory a new version v5 of the icat.server
> SNAPSHOT is now linked
> from http://icatproject.org/releases/snapshot-releases/ where the
> log4j.properties is now optional again as intended.

Ok, I tested the snapshot. Everything works well. In fact, I didn't
noticed much difference compared to ICAT 4.5.

A few remarks and questions:

+ No calls seem to be present in the SOAP interface to discover info
about available authenticators. Is this (intended to be) a RESTful
only feature?

+ I noticed the "authn.<mnemonic>.admin" flag in icat.properties.
This is nice. In fact, I always considered it a feature that our
TopCAT doesn't know about the simple authenticator in our ICAT, as
the accounts configured there are not for use with TopCAT.

How does this flag becomes effective in the communication between
client and server? Does the client tell the server "I'm (not) an
admin tool" and gets different answers based on this? Or does the
client get a list of all authenticators including this flag and
picks the appropriate ones based on whether it considers itself an
admin tool? Or else?

+ The new Lucene calls are not present in the SOAP interface. Are
they (intended to be) RESTful only?

+ ICAT 4.6 adds a new exception "NOT_IMPLEMENTED". But it is not
documented in the client manual [1].

[1]: http://icatproject.org/mvn/site/icat/client/4.6.0-SNAPSHOT/manual_soap.html

--
Rolf Krahl <rolf....@helmholtz-berlin.de>
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB)

Steve Fisher

Sep 16, 2015, 11:28:42 AM9/16/15
to Rolf Krahl, icatgroup
On 16 September 2015 at 14:39, Rolf Krahl <rolf....@helmholtz-berlin.de> wrote:
Steve,

Am Mittwoch, 16. September 2015, 02:34:16 schrieb Steve Fisher:
> To fix a bug spotted by Rolf where the log4j.properties entry in the
> icatproperties has become compulsory a new version v5 of the icat.server
> SNAPSHOT is now linked
> from http://icatproject.org/releases/snapshot-releases/ where the
> log4j.properties is now optional again as intended.

Ok, I tested the snapshot.  Everything works well.  In fact, I didn't
noticed much difference compared to ICAT 4.5.

Good!

A few remarks and questions:

 + No calls seem to be present in the SOAP interface to discover info
   about available authenticators.  Is this (intended to be) a RESTful
   only feature?

Yes I am just adding new things to the RESTful side - though admittedly the RESTful API is not yet complete.

 + I noticed the "authn.<mnemonic>.admin" flag in icat.properties.
   This is nice.  In fact, I always considered it a feature that our
   TopCAT doesn't know about the simple authenticator in our ICAT, as
   the accounts configured there are not for use with TopCAT.

   How does this flag becomes effective in the communication between
   client and server?  Does the client tell the server "I'm (not) an
   admin tool" and gets different answers based on this?  Or does the
   client get a list of all authenticators including this flag and
   picks the appropriate ones based on whether it considers itself an
   admin tool?  Or else?

It is the job of any tool talking to ICAT to decide how it wishes to use the admin flag

 + The new Lucene calls are not present in the SOAP interface.  Are
   they (intended to be) RESTful only?

Yes

 + ICAT 4.6 adds a new exception "NOT_IMPLEMENTED".  But it is not
   documented in the client manual [1].

[1]: http://icatproject.org/mvn/site/icat/client/4.6.0-SNAPSHOT/manual_soap.html

--
Rolf Krahl <rolf....@helmholtz-berlin.de>
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB)
Albert-Einstein-Str. 15, 12489 Berlin
Tel.: +49 30 8062 12122

Rolf Krahl

Sep 17, 2015, 2:39:04 AM9/17/15
to icat...@googlegroups.com
Am Mittwoch, 16. September 2015, 16:28:41 schrieben Sie:
> On 16 September 2015 at 14:39, Rolf Krahl <rolf....@helmholtz-berlin.de>
> wrote:
>
> > + No calls seem to be present in the SOAP interface to discover info
> > about available authenticators. Is this (intended to be) a RESTful
> > only feature?
>
> Yes I am just adding new things to the RESTful side - though admittedly the
> RESTful API is not yet complete.

That is a problem. These new features will not get support by
python-icat then.

Rolf
signature.asc

Steve Fisher

Jan 27, 2016, 9:04:02 AM1/27/16
to icatgroup
There is a new version (9) of the icat.server 4.6.0 snapshot. There is only a small change from the one which is to offer a simplified response to lucene queries. The plan is to release this next week along with the related components.