FW: Payara 6: You Need to Make a Choice. Are You Ready?

Kevin Phipps - STFC UKRI

May 10, 2022, 5:14:31 AM5/10/22
to icat...@googlegroups.com

Dear all,

I received the email below from Payara last week saying they will shortly be moving to Payara 6 and there will be no more releases of Payara 5. Our ICAT components currently run on Payara 5 Community and are not ready for Jakarta EE 10 which Payara 6 uses (we are still using javax.* packages and have not yet moved to jakarta.*).

What this means for us (people running ICAT on Payara):

This means that to continue using a free and supported version of Payara we would need to move to Payara 6 Community in the next couple of months. To do that there are many ICAT components (icat.server, ids.server and plugins, authenticators etc.) that need migrating to Jakarta EE 10 (not yet released but due for release by the end of June).

If you are running Payara 5 Community (free version) and a security flaw is discovered in it, there will be no patched version released by Payara to upgrade to.

So our plan is to move the ICAT components to Jakarta EE 10 as quickly as we can to enable us to move to Payara 6 Community (free version) soon after it is released. But this is obviously going to take a coordinated effort and testing by the various facilities.

We have an ICAT Collaboration meeting next Thursday (19th) where we will discuss this and we hope that other facilities are able to help with the changes required.

If you have any comments in advance of the meeting then please reply to this email. Otherwise I look forward to discussing it at the meeting.

Regards,

Kevin