ids.server call put as post

Rolf Krahl

May 30, 2024, 10:31:11 AMMay 30
to icat...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

as I just announced in today's collaborative meeting, I do have a
question to the community regarding ids.server:

ids.server implements the put call, implemented as HTTP PUT [1], to
upload datafiles. Next to this there is another implementation of the
same call using HTTP POST [2]. That second variant has been added in
ids.server version 1.1.0, almost ten years ago. I guess, nobody in
the community remembers exactly why that variant has been added and
what the use case behind it was. The suspicion is that it was needed
for the very old topcat 1 based on GWT, not being able to make PUT
requests.

Anyway, topcat 1 is dead and gone and history since years now. I
would like to get rid of that POST implementation of the call in
ids.server because I suspect, nobody is using it. So please:

If you use or need the put call, implemented as HTTP POST, raise
your voice now!

If I don't get any complaints, I will deprecate the call now and
remove it in ids.server 3.0.0. The put call, implemented as PUT will
remain in any case.

Best regards,
Rolf

[1]: https://repo.icatproject.org/site/ids/server/2.1.0/miredot/index.html#-19915673721511552
[2]: https://repo.icatproject.org/site/ids/server/2.1.0/miredot/index.html#16333977161511552

--
Rolf Krahl <rolf....@helmholtz-berlin.de>
Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie (HZB)