ICAT collaboration meeting - 25/11 @ 16:00 CET

Andrew GOETZ

Nov 24, 2021, 1:14:33 PM11/24/21
to icat...@googlegroups.com, Teodor Ivănoaica

Dear All,

we will have an ICAT collaboration tomorrow at 16:00 CET at this zoom link:

    https://esrf.zoom.us/j/92859065803?pwd=TWoza0FOUCtHbHFGT1p4bXlTQkJ6QT09

The following topics will be addressed:

(o) Update on the schema changes - Rolf (HZB)

(o) Add a direct relationship between FacilityCycle and Investigation · Issue #259 · icatproject/icat.server (github.com) - Tom (STFC)

(o) Update on developments - Developers

(o) News from sites - ALL

(o) Presentations for next meetings - ALL

(o) AOB

It would be good to hear not only from the sites in production but also from the new sites to know where they are and if they need any help.

CU tomorrow

Andy

Alex de Maria

Nov 25, 2021, 8:24:52 AM11/25/21
to icatgroup
Hi all,

I am wondering if people would be interested in having a series of meetings where every facility could show what they are doing and maybe their projects for the future.
Obviously, ICAT is playing a central role but the idea is not only talking about ICAT but also about software and projects orbiting around it: DMP, PID, ontologies, handling processed data, datagateway and UI, elasticsearch, logbook, sample tracking, data statistics dashboard, panosc API, etc...
The 1-hour ICAT monthly meeting is probably too short to go into details so I'd propose to arrange them in a different time slot as we did for the DB discussions a few months ago.
I'd be happy to present what we are doing at the ESRF (and what we are trying to achieve) if someone is interested.

Hopefully, to be discussed in meeting in a few minutes,
Cheers,
Alex

Alex de Maria

Dec 8, 2021, 4:12:32 AM12/8/21
to Andrew GOETZ, icatgroup, Teodor Ivănoaica
Hi all,

If not mistaken we agreed that ESRF will give a presentation on Thursday next week. I had in mind to give an overview about the whole data management system highlighting the technical and non-technical decisions with the pros and cons, the strengths and especially the weaknesses. The idea of these meetings is sharing knowledge and ideally learning from others (both from their successes and failures).
So, I will go through all points I consider important like: data ingestion, data portal, logbook, sample tracking, etc...  with probably a short live demo.

If someone would like me to talk about a specific topic that you know we have implemented at the ESRF, please let me know.

Best,
Alex

On Thu, 25 Nov 2021 at 14:23, Alex de Maria <dema...@esrf.fr> wrote:
[...]

On Wed, 24 Nov 2021 at 19:14, Andrew GOETZ <andy...@esrf.fr> wrote:

Alex de Maria
Data Manager

The European Synchrotron – ESRF
71, avenue des Martyrs
38000 Grenoble
FRANCE

Alejandra Gonzalez Beltran - STFC UKRI

Dec 8, 2021, 4:31:15 AM12/8/21
to Alex de Maria, Andrew GOETZ, icatgroup, Teodor Ivănoaica

Hi Alex, All,

Thank you very much for this – it will be great to hear your presentation with an overview about the whole data management system as you describe.

One topic that I would be interested in hearing is how you are dealing with BAG proposals and if they are having an impact on the data management pipeline – e.g. up to data publication and archival.

Many thanks,

Alejandra

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the named recipients. If you are not the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy or distribute this email or any of its attachments and should notify the sender immediately and delete this email from your system. UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) has taken every reasonable precaution to minimise risk of this email or any attachments containing viruses or malware but the recipient should carry out its own virus and malware checks before opening the attachments. UKRI does not accept any liability for any losses or damages which the recipient may sustain due to presence of any viruses.

Daniel Sánchez Gil

Dec 9, 2021, 3:23:42 AM12/9/21
to icat...@googlegroups.com

Hi Alex,

I second Alejandra's question. BAGs are something that we haven't formally addressed yet in ALBA from a data policy standpoint and we'd like to hear more on how the ESRF is dealing with the issue.

I would also like to add a more technical question, which is how you are handling scalability for the system (ie.: whether you run several ICAT instances, what's the major bottleneck in your case).

On a more general note, have we decided on the time slot for this session or is it going to be the usual 16h CET slot? I'm trying to see if I can bring some of our Scientific Data Management people to the session, I'm sure they'll be very interested in the presentation.

Best,

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/icatgroup/FE37B81E-D00A-4DAE-84AF-BAE7051C6169%40stfc.ac.uk.
--

Daniel Sánchez
MIS Section - Computing Division

Please, do not print this e-mail unless it is absolutely necessary.
Si heu rebut aquest correu per error, us informo que pot contenir informació confidencial i privada i que està prohibit el seu ús. Us agrairíem que ho comuniqueu al remitent i l'elimineu. Gràcies.
Si ha recibido este correo por error, le informo de que puede contener información confidencial y privada y que está prohibido su uso. Le agradeceré que lo comunique a su remitente y lo elimine. Gracias.
If you have received this e-mail in error, please note that it may contain confidential and private information, therefore, the use of this information is strictly forbidden. Please inform the sender of the error and delete the information received. Thank you.

Kevin Phipps - STFC UKRI

Dec 9, 2021, 12:00:18 PM12/9/21
to icat...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Thanks Alex. I’m looking forward to learning more about developments about ESRF.

I would like to bring people’s attention to a new issue which I just added for icat.server:

https://github.com/icatproject/icat.server/issues/261

This is an addition to the DataPublications functionality introduced by HZB to resolve issue #200.

We would like, if possible, to get this additional functionality into the next release or at least the next minor release after that, but we need agreement from the collaboration before we can start work on it.

So please have a look and leave any comments. If there is time after Alex’s presentation and the resulting discussion next Thursday, maybe we can discuss it then. Otherwise it will have to wait until the January meeting, or perhaps even a separate meeting like the schema discussions we had over the summer.

Regards,

Kevin

Alex de Maria

Dec 10, 2021, 3:15:06 AM12/10/21
to icat...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the comments, I take note.

Alex
PS: about the BAGs, don't expect any miracle... :D