End Solitary Confinement - Illinois Action

Bob Palmer

Jul 19, 2015, 8:36:03 PM7/19/15
to icat-anno...@googlegroups.com
End Solitary Confinement - Illinois Action

Please join us:

Thursday, July 23at 5:00pm - 6:30pm
Thompson Center
100 W Randolph St, Chicago, Illinois 60601

Hosted by Black and Pink: Chicago and Uptown People's Law Center. ICAT is an endorser of the action.

The Illinois Department of Corrections (IDOC) estimates that 2,500 - 3,000 people are held in solitary confinement in Illinois on any given day. The Federal Bureau of Prisons plans to open Thomson Supermax Prison in Thomson, IL by the end of the year, bringing 1,500 new solitary cells to the state.

The United Nations considers solitary confinement beyond 15 days torture and has called for its absolute prohibition. Many people in Illinois and throughout the US have spent decades in solitary. We say NO MORE.

All those opposed to solitary confinement are invited to rally on July 23rd outside the Thompson Center, home of IDOC before marching to the Federal Building. We demand an end to the torturous practice in Illinois, by both the state and federal government. We demand that the Illinois legislature hold a hearing to investigate solitary confinement, or what they call "Segregation" or "Administrative Detention". We demand Thomson close its doors, as Tamms did 2.5 years ago.

This action is in solidarity with anti-solitary activists in California who have been organizing actions, events, teach-ins, and more on the 23rd of every month as part of a statewide campaign to end solitary confinement. They've chosen the 23rd of the month because people held in solitary spend at least 23 hours/day in isolation.

RSVP via Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/events/511219215692757/.