Guantánamo: 12 Years Too Many! Join Us for Two Events

Bob Palmer

Dec 31, 2013, 1:03:55 PM12/31/13
to icat-anno...@googlegroups.com
Guantánamo: 12 Years Too Many! Join Us for Two Events

------------

Friday, January 10, 4:30 to 5:30 PM
Vigil and Procession
Meet at Federal Courthouse in Chicago (northeast corner of Dearborn and Jackson)

We will gather on the 13th Anniversary of the opening of Guantánamo Bay Prison to demand an end to indefinite detention and the closure of this torture camp.  We invite you to wear an orange jumpsuit and black hood (provided) and hold a sign to protest “12 years too many!”  We will read the names of the 155 men detained indefinitely in Guantánamo and pass out a flier to educate people walking past.  The Chicago chapter of the Overpass Light Brigade will also be participating.

If you are on Facebook, please join our event there and invite friends: http://bit.ly/J10Chicago

Our witness is more powerful with you !

------------

Saturday, January 11, 7 to 9 PM
An Evening to Discuss and Dissent!
Doors open at 6:30 for art exhibit, videos
Grace Place, 637 S. Dearborn, Chicago

We will begin the evening with short performance  by the Chicago Danz Theatre followed by a panel discussion on the current legal and political situation at Guantánamo Bay, followed by Q&A session.  Our speakers are:

• Candace Gorman, a U.S. attorney for 2 men detained at Guantánamo (one has been released, the other remains in prison),
• Mario Venegas, an activist and torture survivor from Chile, and
• Dr. Antonio Martinez from the Institute for Survivors of Torture and Human Rights Abuses and a co-founder of the Marjorie Kovler Center here in Chicago.

If you are on Facebook, please join this event there, and invite friends: http://bit.ly/J11Chicago

The Chicago Coalition to Shut Down Guantánamo (World Can’t Wait Chicago, Witness Against Torture, White Rose Catholic Worker, Illinois Coalition Against Torture, Chicago Committee to Free the Cuban Five).

Endorsed by 8th Day Center for Justice, Voices for Creative Non-Violence, Neighbors for Peace, The Chicago Cuba Coalition, Veterans for Peace Chicago, Amnesty International USA

Read about these two events on ICAT's website: http://wp.me/pVcS6-bv