Chicago Coalition to Shut Down Guantanamo Event with Andy Worthington on January 15

Bob Palmer

Jan 6, 2015, 4:18:22 PM1/6/15
to icat-announcements
Chicago Coalition to Shut Down Guantanamo Event with Andy Worthington

Thursday, January 15 at 7:00 p.m.
Grace Place
637 S Dearborn St., Chicago

Come hear Andy Worthington, author of "The Guantanamo Files: The Stories of 774 Detainees in America's Illegal Prison;" Debra Sweet, National Director of World Can't Wait; and Candace Gorman, an civil rights attorney who represents a man detained at Guantanamo. They will speak about the current situation at Guantanamo Bay Prison and what it will take to finally win freedom for the men still held captive there.

On January 11, Guantanamo Bay Prison will enter its 14th year of shameful existence. As force feeding, isolation confinement and torture continue to pervade the daily lives of those detained in that prison, we continue to stand with them in their courageous demand to be freed, and we join our voices with theirs to demand their freedom.

The 14th anniversary of Guantanamo comes at a time of tremendous outpourings demanding justice and an end to police brutality in this country in the wake of the murders of Michael Brown, Eric Garner and countless others by police. Grand juries have not delivered justice, police are not prosecuted, and Black and Latino men, particularly youth, continue to be criminalized, targeted, and outright murdered with impunity in a country that claims to be number one in human rights and civil rights.This anniversary also comes at a time when the Senate has finally released the Torture Report that reveals sickening details of the brutality and torture that many detainees, including those held at Guantanamo, endured at the hands of the U.S. Government and which the highest officials are guilty of sanctioning and have yet to be held to account. This year we will continue to stand firm in our demand that Guantanamo be shut down and that the remaining men be freed. We will work with those in the righteous struggle to end police brutality and murder to make t clear to all that the system that brutalizes, tortures, and oppresses people around the globe is the same system that brutalizes, tortures, and oppresses Black and Latino people in its own streets. We will work to make 2015 the Year of Reckoning for the crimes of torture committed in our name.

Hot drinks and snacks will be provided at Grace Place.

Before the event at Grace Place, please also join us for a rally to protest a 14th year of Guantanamo, torture and indefinite detention.

We will begin the day's events with a powerful and creative action in front of the Art Institute at 4:30pm (look for the orange jumpsuits) which will be followed by a spirited march, with some in orange jumpsuits and black hoods, to the Federal Courthouse (Dearborn and Jackson). We wil then march to Grace Place for the evening event with Andy Worthington.  More info at https://www.facebook.com/events/1544693652437770/.