Support reparations for Chicago police torture victims! (Please forward widely)

1 view

Bob Palmer

Oct 25, 2013, 10:14:43 AM10/25/13
to icat-anno...@googlegroups.com
Friends,

We have very exciting news!  On October 16, 2013, Aldermen Howard Brookins and Proco Joe Moreno introduced an Ordinance seeking Reparations for the  Chicago Police Torture Survivors drafted by the Chicago Torture Justice Memorials Project (CTJM) and the People's Law Office.  The ordinance has now been sent to the finance committee of Chicago's City Council.

To get a hearing on the ordinance and to get it passed, we must show Chicago 's political leaders that the public strongly supports it.

We are asking people to sign a petition urging Mayor Emanuel and the Chicago City Council to pass the ordinance.  Please sign the petition at http://www.change.org/petitions/pass-the-ordinance-seeking-reparations-for-the-chicago-police-torture-survivors

The Ordinance serves as a formal apology to the survivors; creates a Commission to administer financial compensation to the survivors; creates a medical, psychological and vocational center on the south side of Chicago for the survivors and their family members; provides free enrollment in City Colleges for the survivors and family members; requires Chicago Public schools to teach a history lesson about the cases; requires the City to fund public memorials about the cases; and sets aside $20 million to finance this redress, the same amount of money the City has spent to defend Burge, other detectives and former Mayor Richard M. Daley in the Chicago Police torture cases.

You can read the entire ordinance at www.chicagotorture.org or  www.peopleslawoffice.com.

The torture survivors continue to suffer from the psychological effects of the torture they endured without any compensation, assistance, and they have no legal recourse for any redress.

The City of Chicago is responsible for these human rights violations and it must make amends.  This is an important way for it to do so.

Thanks for your support,

Joey Mogul
People's Law Office and CTJM member