Global Day of Action to Close Guantanamo this Friday, May 23rd

Bob Palmer

May 21, 2014, 12:09:03 AM5/21/14
to icat-anno...@googlegroups.com

May 23: Global Day of Action to Close Guantanamo & End Indefinite Detention

Not Another Broken Promise! Not Another Day in Guantanamo!

Rally - 4:30 PM - Water Tower Park - Procession down N. Michigan Avenue

On May 23rd of last year, President Obama again promised to close the detention facility at Guantánamo. His pledge came in response to the mass hunger strike by men protesting their indefinite detention and to the renewed, global condemnation of the prison. One year later, far too little has changed: few detained men have left the prison, and hunger strikes and forced feeding continue.

Demonstrations will be taking place across the United States and the world to demand that President Obama and the US Congress end indefinite detention and close the detention facility at Guantanamo.

Please join us in Chicago for a spirited demonstration and march, starting the Water Tower Park on Friday, May 23rd at 4:30pm.  There will be a performance piece highlighting the poems of the men detained at Guantanamo and the speech that President Obama made one year ago. We will march to Tribune Plaza and perform a skit to give voice to the men at Guantanamo. Lastly, we will march to Millennium Park to end our march.

During his May 2013 speech, President Obama asked the American people: “Look at the current situation, where we are force-feeding detainees who are being held on a hunger strike . . . Is this who we are?”  Sadly, as we face yet another broken promise, this is what the United States remains — a country that indefinitely detains and brutalizes the men at Guantanamo.

The May 23rd Day of Action in Chicago is being coordinated by the Chicago Coalition to Shut Down Guantanamo (World Can’t Wait, Witness Against Torture, Illinois Coalition Against Torture, Chicago Committee to Free the Cuban Five, Vets for Peace Chicago Chapter, and CAIR-Council on American-Islamic Relations, Chicago) along with the 8th Day Center for Justice and more.

For information on actions in Chicago go to:

If you are on Facebook, please join our event there and invite friends!