Middle East Space at ICANN67

1 view

Fahd Batayneh

Jan 9, 2020, 5:16:54 AM1/9/20
to icann-m...@googlegroups.com, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Nadira Alaraj, Tijani BEN JEMAA

Dear All,

It’s time for us to start planning for the Middle East Space at ICANN67 in Cancun.

As you all know, we are currently working on a new regional strategy, and we hope to have this strategy ready before the end of the current ICANN fiscal year. We anticipate to have the draft strategy document out for public comments by Monday 17 February 2020, and will remain open for public comments for 42 days until 30 March 2020.

To this end, we would like to suggest the topic for the ICANN67 Middle East Space to be about the Middle East Strategy. Not only will the community be updated on the work being undertaken, but the session would also be a good opportunity to receive feedback on the document.

Please share your input and thoughts no this by Thursday 16 JAN 2020 at 23.59 UTC.

Thank you,

Baher and Fahd

Rafik Dammak

Jan 9, 2020, 7:22:20 AM1/9/20
to Fahd Batayneh, icann-m...@googlegroups.com, Walid Al-Saqaf, Nadira Alaraj, Tijani BEN JEMAA
Hi Fahd,

Thanks for the proposal. I do believe that makes sense and it is a good opportunity to get input and feedback after presenting to the community the work done.

Best,

Rafik

Nadira Alaraj

Jan 9, 2020, 8:11:04 AM1/9/20
to Fahd Batayneh, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA
Dear Fahd,
With regards to ME Space vs. a session dedicated to the Middle East Strategy, I see there is need to differentiate.
The ME Space is dedicated to policy discussions and empowering the community members to develop confidence to contribute to the policy process and to get into the drafting of the position statement that reflects the perspective of the region.

Is there a reason for not being able to schedule 2 sessions? One for the ME Space and the second for the development of the ME strategy.
Best wishes
Nadira

Fahd Batayneh

Jan 9, 2020, 8:21:54 AM1/9/20
to Nadira Alaraj, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA

Dear Nadira,

Thank you for your input.

On reasons for not scheduling 2 sessions, one key reason is that since this meeting is in Cancun; which, is quite far from the Middle East, and based on past ICANN meetings, attendance is expected to be lower than if the meeting was held in a closer geography. Thus, attendance for 2 sessions could be quite shy. Let us not forget the timezone difference which would further hinder remote participants.

One other reason is the fact that since the agenda of ICANN meetings can be quite crowded, we are strongly advised as staff to minimize on public sessions we hold. Thus, and if possible, getting our business done in one session is high appreciated vs. getting it done in 2 sessions… and so on.

Hope this helps.

Thank you,

Fahd

Nadira Alaraj

Jan 9, 2020, 8:28:30 AM1/9/20
to Fahd Batayneh, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA
Thank you for your response,
In this case I rather not give the session the name of ME Space but rather ME Strategy Working Group session.

Fahd Batayneh

Jan 9, 2020, 8:33:22 AM1/9/20
to Nadira Alaraj, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA

Thank you, Nadira.

You say in your initial reply “The ME Space is dedicated to policy discussions and empowering the community members to develop confidence to contribute to the policy process and to get into the drafting of the position statement that reflects the perspective of the region”. We all agree that PDP at ICANN is done by the community, and that staff provide the necessary support for this work. As ICANN’s 2021-2025 Strategic Plan is all about ICANN’s priorities for the next 5 years, the Middle East Strategy brings that plan and executes it at a regional level. In this case, wouldn’t such a session under the Middle East Space still fulfill your above comment?

Please note that I am not trying to defend our initial suggestion, but am sharing how we thought about it before sharing with and suggesting to you all.

Tijani BEN JEMAA

Jan 9, 2020, 3:36:05 PM1/9/20
to Nadira Alaraj, Fahd Batayneh, icann-m...@googlegroups.com, wa...@al-saqaf.se, rafik....@gmail.com, Tijani BEN JEMAA
Dear Fahd,

Thank you for your mail that I didn’t receive because you used an e-mail address that I don’t use since years. It’s not working anymore. I receive all your mails except these mails of today.
Please delete tijani....@planet.tn from all your records and replace it by tijani....@topnet.tn

As for addressing the ME Strategy in the upcoming ME Space, I would like to make the following remarks:
  • The ME Space has been created for the ME ICANN community to address hot topics and build a community position that is sent to the ICANN Board and to the concerned parties. This has the merit to make our community participate more meaningfully in the ICANN activities and give it more credibility and visibility.
  • Addressing the ME strategy is surely important and needs to be done. The ME Space is not the right place to do it. We should program another session for it
  • The time shift is in fact a problem for remote participation. That’s why the session should be scheduled at the end of the day (last session). for the record, 16:30 in Cancun is 07:30 in the ME countries situated the most east
  • If you consider that in LAC region, the ME community wouldn’t be numerous, and that the time shift would hinder the remote participation, how do you want to address the ME Strategy there? Do you consider that the ME strategy is less important than the hot topic that the ME Space is used to address?

I strongly suggest that we organize a session of 120 min split in 2 parts of 60 min each: a ME Space part and a ME Strategy part (30 min more than the normal ME Space session of 90 min).

Thank you Fahd for your understanding.

Tijani
Tijani BEN JEMAA

Chokri Ben Romdhane

Jan 10, 2020, 2:39:32 AM1/10/20
to Tijani BEN JEMAA, Nadira Alaraj, Fahd Batayneh, icann-m...@googlegroups.com, wa...@al-saqaf.se, rafik....@gmail.com
Dear Friends,
I do support Tijani consensuel  proposal ,  In fact organising two successive sessions will preserve the two sessions, and will avoid  our friends from ICANN the painful tasks to find the suitable schedule.
Thank you Tijani for this proposal.
Friendly
Chokri

Nadira Alaraj

Jan 10, 2020, 2:56:13 AM1/10/20
to Tijani BEN JEMAA, Fahd Batayneh, MEAC-SWG, wa...@al-saqaf.se, rafik....@gmail.com
+1 to Tijani's proposal

khatib hanan

Jan 11, 2020, 6:47:49 PM1/11/20
to Tijani BEN JEMAA, Nadira Alaraj, Fahd Batayneh, MEAC-SWG, wa...@al-saqaf.se, rafik....@gmail.com
I do support Tijani`s suggestions.

Hanan Khatib
IT Consultant
Business process consultant

Zakir Syed

Jan 12, 2020, 2:13:48 PM1/12/20
to Nadira Alaraj, Fahd Batayneh, icann-m...@googlegroups.com, wa...@al-saqaf.se, rafik....@gmail.com, Tijani BEN JEMAA
Thank you Tijani et al.

I think this is more or less Fahd said.

One session of 90-120 minutes (which ever is possible in the ICANN67 agenda).

And thn discussing both the Strategy and any other topics revolving around policy - Tijani has suggested.

I would suggest calling it ME Space.

Best,
Zakir

Hadia Abdelsalam Mokhtar EL miniawi

Jan 13, 2020, 4:47:18 AM1/13/20
to fahd.batayneh, Nadira Alaraj, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA

Dear All,

I do support addressing the Middle East Strategy during the Middle east Space. The Middle East Space is to build a community position about a hot topic and the Middle East Strategy is one of the most important hot topics to the community as it addresses ICANN's strategy and activities in the region for the next few years. Building consensus and a common position in which the entire Middle East community can participate and provide their input with regard to ICANN's strategy in the Middle East will allow the community to have a meaningful impact in ICANN's work in the region.

Visibility is acquired by the impact of the work done and this an opportunity for the whole community to have an impact on what will be implemented and achieved by the community and ICANN in the following years.

Kind regards

Hadia

Nadira Alaraj

Jan 13, 2020, 5:05:22 AM1/13/20
to Hadia Abdelsalam Mokhtar EL miniawi, fahd.batayneh, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA
Dear All,
FYI from the ME Space Charter

Deliverables
The core deliverable of the ME Space which is focused primarily on hot topics at ICANN is a Statement expressing the opinion of the MEAC Community members at ICANN. This statement must provide a consensus opinion of the ME Space members on the addressed topic.

Hadia Abdelsalam Mokhtar EL miniawi

Jan 13, 2020, 5:20:12 AM1/13/20
to Nadira Alaraj, fahd.batayneh, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA

Thank you Nadira for quoting the deliverables from the charter. The deliverable in case we choose MEAC strategy to be our topic  for the Middle East Space would be a statement expressing the opinion of the MEAC community members at ICANN on ICANN's strategy in the region. The statement will provide the consensus of the ME Space members on the addressed topic which, in this case would be ICANN's priorities and strategy in the region.

Hadia

Jim Quirk

Jan 18, 2020, 12:00:48 PM1/18/20
to Fahd Batayneh, Nadira Alaraj, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA
Hello, all.  I hope you are well

There is a story in the Washington Post today about the future governance of the .org domain.  It doesn't directly address the questions of this working group, but I thought you would find it interesting.  The rights to sell license .org names may be sold by the current non-profit group to a for-profit entity for over US $1 billion (900 million Euros).

The link is here - the Washington Post has a soft paywall, so if you can not access it please let me know

Yours,
Jim Quirk

Chokri Ben Romdhane

Jan 18, 2020, 2:42:25 PM1/18/20
to Jim Quirk, Fahd Batayneh, Nadira Alaraj, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA
Thank you for Jim for sharing, I'm personally interested to follow the evolvement of this transaction and I think that the ME community should deliver  a statement  about this transaction.
Freindly
Chokri

Hadia Abdelsalam Mokhtar EL miniawi

Jan 19, 2020, 5:43:22 AM1/19/20
to Chokri Ben Romdhane, Jim Quirk, fahd.batayneh, Nadira Alaraj, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA

Dear Chokri, Thank you for sharing, the problem of taking a position on this topic is that there are too many players and we know very little about what is going on. A transparent and open process I believe should be our main concern.

Best

Hadia

Chokri Ben Romdhane

Jan 19, 2020, 8:21:43 AM1/19/20
to Hadia Abdelsalam Mokhtar EL miniawi, Jim Quirk, Fahd Batayneh, Nadira Alaraj, MEAC-SWG, Walid Al-Saqaf, Rafik Dammak, Tijani BEN JEMAA
Dear Hadia,
Thank you for your reply, in dead there is a weakness of transparency with the PIR transaction, but there's also a governance issue : Are we going to allow the transfer of non profit domain(including the country code domain why not! ) to some profit organization, and if so, under which conditions?
I really think that  the .org  case will some how impact the governance Model.

Freindly
Chokri