Operation timed out with indexing

Daniela Moneta

Apr 4, 2024, 11:31:40 AMApr 4
to AtoM Users
Hi everyone.  Has anyone seen this timeout occur after indexing? We are using 2.7.2 - 192. We can't see that it causes a problem but it does take a long time to timeout.

/usr/share/nginx/atom$ sudo php symfony search:populate

Index populated with 7663 documents in 65.27 seconds.

PHP Fatal error:  Uncaught Elastica\Exception\Connection\HttpException: Operation timed out in /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/composer/ruflin/elastica/lib/Elastica/Transport/Http.php:187

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/composer/ruflin/elastica/lib/Elastica/Request.php(193): Elastica\Transport\Http->exec()

#1 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/composer/ruflin/elastica/lib/Elastica/Client.php(674): Elastica\Request->send()

#2 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/composer/ruflin/elastica/lib/Elastica/Bulk.php(357): Elastica\Client->request()

#3 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/composer/ruflin/elastica/lib/Elastica/Client.php(352): Elastica\Bulk->send()

#4 /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/composer/ruflin/elastica/lib/Elastica/Index.php(151): Elastica\Client->addDocuments()

#5 /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arElasticSearchPlugin/lib/arElasticSearchIndexDecorator.class.php(42): Elastica\Index->addDocuments()

#6 /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arElasticSearchPlugin/lib/arElasticSearchPlugin.class.php(170): arElasticSearchIndexDecorator->__call()

# in /usr/share/nginx/atom/vendor/composer/ruflin/elastica/lib/Elastica/Transport/Http.php on line 187

Dan Gillean

Apr 4, 2024, 12:15:49 PMApr 4
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Daniela,

I wonder if this might be caused by system resource issues.

Can you tell me more about the memory, disk, and CPU that your installation has? I am mainly trying to ensure that it meets or exceeds the recommendations found here:
Processor: 2 vCPUs @ 2.3GHz
Memory: 7GB
Disk space (processing): 50GB at a minimum for AtoM’s core stack plus more storage would be required for supporting any substantial number of digital objects.

Additionally, can you please try running the search:status task, and share the output?
Hopefully more information will help suggest where to look next.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Daniela Moneta

Apr 4, 2024, 1:18:50 PMApr 4
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan. Looking at the recommendations, it is probably a resource issue.  We are running the t2.small configuration (1 cpu 2GB ram) to keep costs down. We typically only have 1 - 2 users in the system at a time and the system performs very well with the exception of the timeout after a reindex.

sudo php symfony search:status

Elasticsearch server information:

 - Version: 5.6.16

Document indexing status:

 - Accession: 1/1

 - Actor: 1488/1488

 - Aip: 0/0

 - Function object: 0/0

 - Information object: 2403/2403

 - Repository: 38/38

 - Term: 3733/3733

Daniela

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZL4QnKZvvDjsX05dP5qZLeTe-6iBGus4j_8g2KhLO9EAg%40mail.gmail.com.

Dan Gillean

Apr 4, 2024, 1:44:08 PMApr 4
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Ok, good to know - thanks Daniela.

If possible, I would recommend increasing the available memory - I suspect that might resolve indexing issues.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.