Physical storage - physical storage report for a store

Julie Jägerová

Mar 22, 2021, 6:45:03 AM3/22/21
to AtoM Users

Hi,

I have one question concerning physical storage information in AtoM. We would like to attribute to every fonds or sub-fonds level two pieces of physical storage information - store and row-bay-shelf in the store. In addition to this, at the end, we would like to obtain a physical storage report for each of our stores, saying which fonds are situated in one specific store and where exactly.
Is it possible to work like this in AtoM? For the moment I have the impression, that there isn't any hierarchical linking between Types of physical storage, for instance store and more specific type of physical storage (for example row-bay-shelf combination in one).
We added Row-bay-shelf as a Type (Container) in our Taxonomy. We added as well our three Store names as a Type (Location) in the Taxonomy, so we achieved to have a list of fonds situated in one store, unfortunately without any further information on the physical storage within the store.

Thank you for your help !

Best regards,
Julie J.

Dan Gillean

Mar 22, 2021, 11:35:21 AM3/22/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Julie,

You're correct - unfortunately, AtoM's physical storage module is very basic at present, and there's no way to organize containers and locations hierarchically. I think that if the workaround you're trying is meeting your needs, then yes, you can absolutely work that way in AtoM!

As for other ideas... your best bet is likely to continue getting creative with how you use the location and container naming conventions to capture the information you need. For example, you could instead try adding 2 different containers to each, and try treating the stores as containers. If you know you need to combine 2 entries (one with store, the other with row-bay-shelf) for the full location information, maybe that will still work in terms of reporting?

Honestly, whatever works best for you! We would love to improve the physical storage module in AtoM, but it will require community support for us to be able to overhaul it.

In the meantime, we do have some reports for physical storage that might help you find what you want. See:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.