wzei...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2018, 1:59:24 PM4/6/18
to AtoM Users
I need help, I am relatively new at working with the atom database, and since I tried to make some arrangements it seems that I change the system to the last updates, the search only retrieves the last updates not the other results that we have introduced before, and we need to see the whole data.

Dan Gillean

Apr 6, 2018, 3:56:12 PM4/6/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi William,

Welcome to the AtoM community!

Can you please clarify what you mean when you say, "I change the system to the last updates"? Do you mean you upgraded your installation version (for example, from version 2.3 to 2.4, etc)?

If you could provide more information about your installation, and a detailed outline of exactly what you did that led to the issue, this will help us provide you with better support. Some suggestions on what information to include can be found here:

Have you verified that you are logged in when looking for your missing descriptions? It's possible they are in Draft mode, and you need to be logged in to see them.

It's possible that you search index needs to be manually updated - the search index is what allows you to browse and search descriptions in AtoM. To repopulate the search index manually, you will need access to the command-line of your installation. If someone else installed your AtoM instance for you and you don't know how to access the command-line, please feel free to forward this message to them. If you are new to working with the command-line, these slides will give you a basic orientation in how to navigate the linux/unix command-line:
All of AtoM's command-line tasks should be run from the root AtoM installation directory. If you have followed our recommended installation instructions, this is usually /usr/share/nginx/atom. To repopulate the search index, run the following command:
  • php symfony search:populate
More information on this command:
You might also want to clear all caches - that is, the application cache, as well as those maintained by PHP-FPM and memcached. To clear the application cache:
All of the above commands are also covered in the following slide deck:

If this doesn't resolve the issue, then we will need to know more about your AtoM installation, and what exactly caused the issue. Good luck!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Fri, Apr 6, 2018 at 1:59 PM, <wzei...@gmail.com> wrote:
I need help, I am relatively new at working with the atom database, and since I tried to make some arrangements it seems that I change the system to the last updates, the search only retrieves the last updates not the other results that we have introduced before, and we need to see the whole data.

wzei...@gmail.com

Apr 9, 2018, 3:46:36 PM4/9/18
to AtoM Users
Hi, Dan Gillean

Sorry for the inconvenience that may cause, actually I have version 2.3 of the AtoM and what happens is that it was not me who installed it and is giving me a problem with the search, it shows me nothing of what I had echoed alone the last thing that is working and I'm worried everything is, but when doing an investigation is not shown, only the last thing I've done the tests that I left with the symfony commands and it really gives me more trouble when I go to look again At the AtoM it does not show me anything, please I ask you to be patient and help me I need it I really like the system and I want to learn it very well

Thank you and forgive me the inconvenience

Dan Gillean

Apr 9, 2018, 4:45:22 PM4/9/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi William,

It's no inconvenience at all - we are all here to help each other :)

The commands I have shared in my previous reply should work for version 2.3 as well.

However, let's be systematic. I'm still not clear on what you have and haven't tried from your latest response, so please answer each of the following questions:
  • First, did you double-check that you were logged in when looking for your missing descriptions? If not, please do so now. Does this make any difference?
  • Next, do you have access to the command-line of your installation?
    • If no, can you get in touch with someone who does?
  • If yes, have you tried running the search:populate task I shared in my last message?
    • If yes, did it complete successfully? Did this resolve the issue?
    • If no, try it now, and let us know if this resolves the issue.
  • If you ran the command but it threw an error, please share the error message with us so we have more information.
  • Can you clarify what you mean by the following in your last message? " I've done the tests that I left with the symfony commands and it really gives me more trouble"
    • Do you mean the search:populate command? Or something else in Symfony?
    • What kind of "more trouble" are you seeing?
I will be sure to follow up with you further based on your responses. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

wzei...@gmail.com

Apr 10, 2018, 4:03:33 PM4/10/18
to AtoM Users

Hi, Dan Gillean

I really apologize because previously I did not explain myself well, when I told you that the commands you sent me earlier functioned and it gave me an error which I did not send, so I apologize and answer all the questions so I can learn much more about this system that I think is very good for our institution.

Answering the questions:

First: yes, I have verified that I log in when I look for the missing descriptions and everything stays the same
Second: yes, I have access to the command line and if I try to execute the task that you left me in the previous message of the command (php synfony search: populate) it was executed but it gave the following error:  could not find information object (id: 148630 ).

And the question I asked was that I run the commands that you gave me and it was when it gave the error that I explained above. I restarted the system and I saw that it still did not show the search. I apologize and that is why I am sending you this email now of what I did not know how to explain before.

Regards

Dan Gillean

Apr 10, 2018, 4:23:55 PM4/10/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi William,

Thank you for clarifying :)

Unfortunately, this error indicates that there is likely some corruption in your data. Data corruption in AtoM generally occurs when there are missing or incorrect values written to the MySQL database when a transaction fails to complete, and/or when large operations are aborted mid-process. For example, attempting a large move, publication status update, or import via the web-based user interface, and having it time out before the task completes might lead to some data values not being written properly to the database before the operation aborts.

There are ways that we can resolve it, but depending on the nature of the corruption, it can be tricky, and may involve using SQL queries. I can walk you through the basics, but if it gets very complex you may need to seek paid support, as there is a limit to how much support we  can provide via the forum. Let's hope this is an easy one to solve!

First, everything I am going to walk you through is outlined in the following page:
Let's try the two easiest things first, and hope that it resolves the issue.

First, we will run the generate slugs command. Sometimes when an operation aborts unexpectedly, most of the data is recorded, but the record is not given a proper slug (or permalink - AKA the unique part of a URL when you are looking at a description). We can use this task to generate new slugs for any descriptions that might be missing them. From the root AtoM directory, run:
  • php symfony propel:generate-slugs
For more information on this command, see:
Next, let's try rebuilding the nested set. The nested set is how AtoM maintains hierarchical relationship information in a flat, table-like database. Sometimes when operations time out or abort unexpectedly, the nested set can become corrupted. The following command should rebuild it:
  • php symfony propel:build-nested set
For more information on this command, see:

To clear the application cache:
  • php symfony cc
More information on this command:
Once that's done, let's run the search populate command again, and see if it completes:
  • php symfony search:populate
Make sure your browser cache is cleared, and check to see if that has resolved the issue. Did the search:populate command complete without any errors? Can you see your descriptions now?

If no and now, then unfortunately, things will get a bit trickier, though there are still a few more things we can try. Let's try those first, however - let me know how it goes, and I'll follow up further if needed.

Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.