500 error code when updating a repository

Wampler Library

Sep 29, 2020, 1:02:15 PM9/29/20
to AtoM Users
Hi all,

I need to update a policy on one of the archival institutions in our AToM. I am able to update a Institution if it has no records attached to it. but once there is a record attached then any attempt to update is met with a internal server error 500.

Dan Gillean

Sep 30, 2020, 6:56:07 PM9/30/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

I would recommend that you start by checking your webserver error logs for more information on the nature of the 500 error. If you can share any relevant message that you find, it will likely help us offer further suggestions. See:
In the meantime, I can offer a few general suggestions on possible causes and steps to resolve the issue.

My first guess would be that the job scheduler needs a restart. AtoM uses Gearman to handle some long-running tasks asynchronously in the background. When an archival institution is updated, AtoM will launch a job to check if the edits affect any related descriptions - for example, updating the search index so any changes to the institution's name are properly reflected.

The installation and configuration instructions for setting the job scheduler up can be found here:
Occasionally the atom-worker dies, and needs a restart. If you check the web-server logs and you see an error message that includes something like, "No gearman worker available that can handle the job," then you'll know this is the case.

To restart the atom-worker, see:
Some notes on this:
  • You can check the status of the atom-worker at any time with: sudo systemctl status atom-worker
  • This is useful to make sure the restart was successful. When the worker dies, AtoM will attempt to automatically restart it - however, to prevent the system from being caught in an endless loop, we added a restart limit - 3 retries every 24 hours. You can reset this fail limit with the following command:
  • sudo systemctl reset-failed atom-worker
If this does not resolve the issue, and/or this is not what you find in the error logs, then please let us know what you discover, as well as more information about your installation (AtoM version, Operating system, PHP version, etc)  and we can provide further suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Tue, Sep 29, 2020 at 1:02 PM Wampler Library <wampler...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,

I need to update a policy on one of the archival institutions in our AToM. I am able to update a Institution if it has no records attached to it. but once there is a record attached then any attempt to update is met with a internal server error 500.

Wampler Library

Oct 6, 2020, 8:05:54 AM10/6/20
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply, I copied my IT dept your response there and bellow is what I was sent back yesterday. I am also getting 500 errors any time i try to change anything that has a child record so it defiantly seems to me that it being the job scheduler makes sense. Any help on this would be very appreciated!

IT: "I see that error but when I run that command it tells me the atom-worker service is not found.  I installed German but I didn’t do anything with scheduling."

10f13e1b37880d8b07c0715176.jpg.png

Dan Gillean

Oct 6, 2020, 5:15:13 PM10/6/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Please refer your IT team back to the installation and configuration page - there are a few more steps than just installing Gearman, but not too many! See:
We recommend following the recommended instructions for using a process supervisor like systemd that are described on the page. Commands to start the worker and check its status are also included there. Please also note the TIP comment included on the page - to prevent the worker from crashing, trying to automatically restart, and potentially getting caught in a loop, we have added a restart try limit of 3 times per 24 hours. If your worker ever needs a restart, but the restart command doesn't seem to be working, it may be that you've encountered this limit and need to reset the failed count. From the notes on this included on the page:

If the worker hits the start rate limit (3 starts in 24h) to be able to start it again after fixing the issue, the failed status has to be cleared:
  • sudo systemctl reset-failed atom-worker
  • sudo systemctl start atom-worker

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager