Premis iheritance from piece to upper level

romain guedj

Mar 25, 2021, 7:13:26 AM3/25/21
to AtoM Users
Hi,

I have noticed a right change from piece which affects upper levels. Let me know if you could reproduce the issue from your side.

The context
Specific permission has been applied for anonymous group for this archival description entitled Fonds Spéciaux.
All rights are inheritance except the one showed in the capture below (read, publish, access master, access thumbnail, access ref).
PremisIssue01a.PNG
The structure of the fonds is :
Two upper level and all pieces at the same level.
PremisIssue01b.PNG
Rights for the fonds and folder level are both:
copyright > display = allow

And Premis acts are set up on discover.PremisIssue01d.PNG

An access from anonymous window displays the thumbnails for the both level.
PremisIssue01e.PNG
PremisIssue01f.PNG
When premis rights of a piece is changed to this setting (Licence > display = conditionnal and discover = allow) to this one (Licence > display = conditional and discover = Disallow), the image of the piece is not displayed which is the expected part but thumbnails from the upper levels are not provided as well.
When the upper level are selected, webrowser stays on the previous page, the level "Bagged demo transfer" and "Fonds kehren Obserson test" are not accessible anymore.
PremisIssue01i.PNGPremisIssue01j.PNG
If I select another piece, atom display images.

It looks like thumbnails are blocked at upper level because one piece has disallow policy for one piece.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Romain

Dan Gillean

Mar 26, 2021, 10:58:56 AM3/26/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Romain,

There is a lot going on here, and while you've done a good job of trying to show and explain your permissions and PREMIS right settings, I'm still a bit confused about the outcome, and how best to reproduce. I will try to do some testing based on what I understand. However, I'm not surprised to hear that there might be some inconsistencies here with so many different conflicting rights and permissions.

First, there are some known issues with the Permissions module that could be impacting this that are not easy for us to resolve without a complete overhaul of the permissions module. I've described these previously in other threads, such as:
The short version is that AtoM's permissions module uses a very old library with known issues, and fixing them all will likely require us to replace the entire permissions module - work that will require community sponsorship for us to be able to undertake. So far no institution has sponsored this work. For more information on how we maintain and develop AtoM, please see:
With the PREMIS rights, it's important to remember that only one Act can be actionable at a time - so the "License > display = conditional" rights statement is not having an actionable effect if you've set Discover as the actionable act.

Finally, it's possible that the issue you're describing is actually just a result of the full-width treeview not fully updating the page during navigation. With the sidebar treeview, clicking any level will cause a full page reload to show the newly selected resource. With the full-width treeview, we use AJAX to update just the parts of the page that change - though it's possible that not all components are properly included in this refresh. Here is an example of a similar issue we fixed in the 2.5 release, where the breadcrumb on the view page was not being updated:
Does doing a hard refresh of the page fix the issue? You can usually do this by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+R to reload the page after navigating in the full-width treeview. If that fixes the issue and properly displays the carousel, then this suggests that the problem is with the treeview's partial page loading, and that we need to ensure that the carousel component gets updated as well.

Next, I can see this is test data, but I wonder if it might help to make your fonds top-level descriptions, rather than part of a larger hierarchy, so you can better control the permissions associated with the fonds using less inherited rules that might conflict?

In any case, I think I understand the issue enough to try to reproduce - you've got PREMIS rights affecting items that are preventing their thumbnails from showing in the carousel at higher levels, when they shouldn't be - is that correct? If so, I will see if I can reproduce, and I will file a bug ticket if necessary. There's no guarantee we will be able to fix it in an upcoming release until we know the source and scope of the issue, but reproducing the problem will be our first step. I will let you know what I'm able to find via testing.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

romain guedj

Mar 29, 2021, 3:05:13 AM3/29/21
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Thanks a lot for your answer.

"In any case, I think I understand the issue enough to try to reproduce - you've got PREMIS rights affecting items that are preventing their thumbnails from showing in the carousel at higher levels, when they shouldn't be - is that correct?"

Correct! Moreover, all the content under the URL is not accessible.

My apologies for the terrible lay-out of pics and text in my previous post!

Cheers,

Romain

Dan Gillean

Mar 29, 2021, 10:46:08 AM3/29/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Romain,

So far I haven't been able to reproduce the issue - however, I'm hopeful this is good news!

I have been doing my testing on our development branch for the upcoming 2.6.3 release - which we hope to release this week. There is a fix in this release for an issue that sounds similar to what you describe - see:
It's not exactly what you describe, but since I haven't yet been able to recreate the exact problem you've reported, I'm hopeful that this might also address what you're seeing.

As I said, we're hopeful that 2.6.3 will be released this week. It includes a number of bug fixes and improvements, including a replacement for the Flash-based multi-file uploader, better support for searches that have stopwords (like and, of, the, etc), CSV import and export fixes, and more. When it's released, if you upgrade please let us know if this resolves the issue!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

romain guedj

Mar 29, 2021, 10:50:33 AM3/29/21
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Yes defintely, it looks very similar issue.
Thank you for your feedback again. I will come back to you whatever the result is.

Cheers,
Romain

romain guedj

Apr 1, 2021, 9:14:38 AM4/1/21
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Carousel bug is gone from my side too after updating to 2.6.3.

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Romain

Dan Gillean

Apr 1, 2021, 9:57:44 AM4/1/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Great! Thank you for confirming, Romain!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.