Reports issue: Only one report type is offered at series and subseries level

Cindy

Nov 10, 2023, 12:10:53 PM11/10/23
to AtoM Users
Hello,

We recently upgraded from 2.6.4 to 2.7.3 and our archives staff noticed a problem generating reports in archival descriptions:

At the fonds level,  3 types of reports are offered.
atom_report.png
But the series and subseries level, only 1 report type is offered.
atom_report1.png
atom_report2.png
They need to be able to generate the other reports.

Please advise how to resolve the issue.

Thanks in advance!
Cindy

Dan Gillean

Nov 10, 2023, 2:25:46 PM11/10/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cindy,

Thanks for this "report" ;)

A couple quick questions:
  • Were you previously able to generate these reports from any level (i.e. in your 2.6 installation prior to upgrading)?
  • The file and item reports (and possibly the others as well, though I don't recall and would need to test) ONLY are presented as options if there are in fact relevant entries at lower levels. So for example - if there are no ITEMS in that particular "Programs" series shown in your screenshot, then there will be no option to generate an item-level report. Have you confirmed there are items below that series? Are there definitely boxes linked to some of the descriptions below that series? etc.
  • Most importantly: based on that minor bit of color at the top of your screenshots, am I correct in assuming that you have a custom theme?
I have just run a few local tests and was unable to reproduce the issue you describe locally. Similarly, you can see this working as expected if you log into our public demo site and find a Series level description that has lower-level files, items, and storage - like this one:
As such, I suspect that this is an upgrade issue related to your custom theme. My recommendations are:
If yes, then I would suggest you compare the files and see what is different. If not... let me know about the other questions and whether or not anything else above helps to resolve the issue. If it doesn't, I will get further input from our devs on where to look for possible changes that could be affected by a custom theme (or if they have any other theories).

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Cindy

Nov 13, 2023, 4:20:53 PM11/13/23
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,
Thanks a lot for your quick response!
Here are the answers to the questions... (the first 2 answers are from our archives staff)
  • We were able to run the reports (File list, Physical storage locations, Box label) at the Fonds, Series, and Sub-series level. We don't run reports at the file or item levels, so I'm not sure if those were available for previous versions.
  • Since to upgrade, the options for File list, Physical storage locations, and Box label reports are offered at the Fonds level, but at the Series and Sub-series level we are only offered File list.There are not any items in the Series and Sub-series used as examples. There are files with physical locations. We should be able to generate File list, Physical storage locations, and Box labels at those levels.
  • Yes we have a custom theme.
  • In the Admin > Settings, the application version is: 2.7.3 - 192
  • Our custom theme includes the static file homeSuccess.php, I added render_value code and ran Make -C plugins/ourCustomThemePlugin, didn't fix the issue.
  • Our theme plugin doesn't have reportsSuccess.php file.
Could you provide more details about the additional change?
Thank you!
Cindy

Dan Gillean

Nov 14, 2023, 9:58:11 AM11/14/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cindy,

One of our developers (Radda) has done some detective work on this issue for you, and it turns out I was wrong - it's not a custom theme issue. In fact, it is unfortunately a bug, resulting from an over-correction when trying to address a previous bug!

I have filed an issue ticket here:

Previously, the report links would always be available, even if there were no relevant results for them - i.e. no storage information, and/or no files or items at lower levels. Meaning you would either trigger an error when trying to generate the report, or you'd end up with blank reports.

We tried to fix this - and did! But in the process, over-corrected. Now, instead of checking if there are storage locations on the target description OR at lower levels from that target description, the report links expect that there MUST be a storage location on the CURRENT LEVEL for the generation links to be present.

I have passed this issue to the Maintainers for their review - hopefully we can address it soon. In the meantime: it's a bit ugly, but your archivists could add a temporary fake location to the Series level (create a box with a name that is obviously just for this purpose for example) just to get the report links, generate them, and then delete the temporary location link again?

Apologies for the confusion!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Cindy

Nov 14, 2023, 10:48:14 AM11/14/23
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Thank you for the update and thanks Radda for quickly identified the issue.
I'll let our archivists know about this. Do you know if there any plan or schedule to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Cindy

Dan Gillean

Nov 14, 2023, 2:37:39 PM11/14/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cindy,

Given that I just filed the issue today, and our Maintainers are almost done preparing the 2.8 release, unfortunately I think it is unlikely to be addressed in the next version. I will certainly make sure that they are aware of it, so they can consider it for a future release.

Meanwhile, if you have local developers, feel free to compare the changes in the commit I linked, and if you get a patch working that resolves this issue, send us a pull request!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.