Move AtoM to new sever.

Bert Willekens

May 11, 2021, 6:06:37 PM5/11/21
to AtoM Users
Hi

I'm looking for a way to completely move all data to a new server and newer instance of AtoM.
The import/export CSV and XML options seem to be limited to not *all* objects like images and taxonomy.
I tried exporting and importing via SQL but the DB schema does not look to be compatible.

Can somebody set me on the right track on how to accomplish this?

Thanks

--
Bert

Dan Gillean

May 12, 2021, 9:17:58 AM5/12/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Bert,

The upgrading instructions should provide you with exactly what you need, even if you're moving from one version to another that is the same release number. If you migrate a dump of the MySQL database, as well as the contents of the uploads and downloads directories, then all your data should be preserved. If you have a custom theme plugin, remember that you'll need to migrate this and reapply it as well. See:
I strongly recommend you follow the instructions closely! Most upgrading issues we see posted here occur because one or more steps have been skipped, such as dropping and recreating the database, or running the upgrade task.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Bert Willekens

May 14, 2021, 8:15:57 AM5/14/21
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan

Thanks! This worked without any issues.
I need to sudo or become root to run the php symfony commands. In the instructions sudo is only mentioned when restarting services. Very small detail and I think people should be able to figure this out.

Thanks again and best regards
Bert

Dan Gillean

May 14, 2021, 9:29:29 AM5/14/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Bert,

Glad to hear that things have gone well!

For Symfony tasks, I'd recommend that you specify the www-data user if you need to do so, like this example:
  • sudo -u www-data php symfony search:populate
I can try to make this more apparent in the documentation in the future. Also, sounds like you've figured this out, but any commands that start with php symfony need to be run from AtoM's root installation directory, otherwise you'll get an error about the command not being found.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.