Ability to change the Slug for Items

Tom Misilo

Feb 10, 2022, 4:31:42 PM2/10/22
to AtoM Users
Hello,

Is it possible to customize how the slug for each record is generated?

For example we would love if for children to have their url based on their parent.

It would be great if it's url was actually

That way you can actually see the hierarchy based on the URL itself, and don't get url's that just have auto incremented values like this https://findingaids.lib.k-state.edu/box-1-7

Thanks!
Tom

Dan Gillean

Feb 11, 2022, 10:47:59 AM2/11/22
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Tom,

Unfortunately there's nothing like that at present in AtoM.

There is an option to manually edit the slug of a description, but even when the setting to Use any valid URI path segment and uppercase character in slugs is enabled in the Settings, the Rename module wouldn't let me add a slash to the edited slug - these were automatically sanitized to dashes instead.

You can also determine if the slug is generated based on the title, identifier, or some version of the reference code via the settings via the Generate description permalink from setting, but again that doesn't help create the types of URIs you're looking for that display hierarchical arrangement.

This would require local custom code modifications, or else sponsored development in AtoM itself, to be able to implement.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.