Dublin Core date fields awry from Archivematica

GR Mulcaster

Jan 16, 2019, 8:22:45 PM1/16/19
to AtoM Users

At UTAS SPARC, we have been testing Archivematica on v 1.7.2, with DIP uploads to AtoM version 2.4.0.

I thought it timely to share some results from Dublin Core date (dc.date) imports via Archivematica.

Having previously used ISAD templates as the basis for bulk uploads of Archival Descriptions to describe digital objects in AtoM (using up to about 28 fields within a .csv), we are now crosswalking our metadata destined for AtoM via Dublin Core to be piped through Archivematica, then DIP uploaded across to AtoM

The dc.date field has been an unexpected stumbling block.

Archivematica to AtoM via DIP uploads will only accept ISO8601 – YYYY-MM-DD formats through the Dublin Core date fields.

Here is a series of different date formats that I test uploaded to AtoM as a DIP upload after first using the dc.date cell within a csv for upload using Dublin Core to Archivematica

dc.date lodged in Archivematica

Transfer to AtoM via DIP upload

Result

2017-2018

2017-02-01

Created false data by inserting inaccurate dd-mm misinterpreting 2018 as second month, first day

2018

2018-01-01

Created false date by inserting inaccurate dd-mm

12-31-2018

None

Failed to create data entry

31-12-2018

12-31-2018

Inverted dd-mm-yyyy to mm-dd-yyyy

31Dec18

2018-12-31

Converted alphanumeric 00MTH00 string to yyyy-mm-dd

31Dec2018

2018-12-31

Converted alphanumeric 00MTH0000 string to yyyy-mm-dd

December 31, 2018  2018-12-31

2018-12-31

Converted alphanumeric text date to yyyy-mm-dd

31 - 12 – 18

Converted alphanumeric text date to dd – mm – yy with odd spacing between numerals and hyphens

2018-12-31 TO 2019-01-04

2018-12-31

Converted to alphanumeric text date

C2018

None

Failed to create data entry

Circa 2018

None

Failed to create data entry

2018-12-31T13:00:45

31- 12 - 18 13:00

Converted the

YYYY-DD-MMThh:mm:ss to 31 - 12 - 18 with extra spacebands, indicating formatting issue, with the seconds totally ignored in the UTC time format

2018-12-31

2018-12-31

Converted successfully as lodged

Resources

ISO (2016). Data elements and interchange formats — Information interchange - Representation of dates and times — Part 1: Basic rules. Geneva, Switzerland: International Organization for Standardization. Retrieved from

http://www.loc.gov/standards/datetime/iso-tc154-wg5_n0038_iso_wd_8601-1_2016-02-16.pdf

ISO/WD 8601-1 iv ©ISO2016–All rights reserved Foreword ISO (the International Organization for Standardization) is a worldwide federation of national standards ...

ISO (2016a). Data elements and interchange formats — Information interchange - Representation of dates and times — Part 2: Extensions. Geneva, Switzerland: International Organization for Standardization. Retrieved from

http://www.loc.gov/standards/datetime/iso-tc154-wg5_n0038_iso_wd_8601-1_2016-02-16.pdf

ISO/WD 8601-1 iv ©ISO2016–All rights reserved Foreword ISO (the International Organization for Standardization) is a worldwide federation of national standards ...

Kuhn, M. (2004). A summary of the international standard date and time notation. Retrieved from https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-time.html

by Markus Kuhn. International Standard ISO 8601 specifies numeric representations of date and time. This standard notation helps to avoid confusion in international communication caused by the many different national notations and increases the portability of computer user interfaces.

Wolf and Wicksteed (1997). Date and time formats, submitted to W3C 15 September 1997. Retrieved from https://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime

This document defines a profile of ISO 8601, the International Standard for the representation of dates and times. ISO 8601 describes a large number of date/time ...

Approximate dates are essential for use in AtoM – and accurate date generation is very important when transferring bulk digital object Archival Descriptions across form Archivematica

I chose to test the ISO8601 4.2.1 fields for uncertain/approximate dates to see if these fields have been implemented for Dublin Core transfer/ingest to Archivematica and from there to AtoM. I have charted the results, which were not encouraging. None of the questionmark, tilde or percentagesigns added to an approximate date string worked.

See the chart below.

Dc.date through Archivematica

After transfer to AtoM via DIP

Purpose

Result

2018-12-31?

2018-12-31

To test the ISO8601 4.2.1 uncertain and or approximate dates using the YYYY-MM-DD? question mark

Question mark ignored, instead used the 2018-12-31 full date YYYY-MM-DD

2018-12-31~

2018-12-31

To test the ISO8601 4.2.1 uncertain and or approximate dates using the YYYY-MM-DD~ tilde mark

Tilde ignored, instead used the 2018-12-31 full date YYYY-MM-DD

2018-12-31%

2018-12-31

To test the ISO8601 4.2.1 uncertain and or approximate dates using the YYYY-MM-DD% percentage sign

Percentage sign ignored, instead used the 2018-12-31 full date YYYY-MM-DD

2018-12?

2018-12-01

To test the ISO8601 4.2.1 uncertain and or approximate dates using YYYY-MM?

Inserted incorrect date of 2018-12-01 ignoring imprecision of question mark

2018-12~

2018-12-01

To test the ISO8601 4.2.1 uncertain and or approximate dates using YYYY-MM with a tilde

Inserted incorrect date of 2018-12-01 again ignoring the approximate uncertain tilde

2018-12%

2018-12-01

To test the ISO8601 4.2.1 uncertain and or approximate dates using YYYY-MM with a percentage sign

Inserted incorrect date of 2018-12-01, ignoring the percentage sign

2018?

Failed

To test the ISO8601 4.2.1 uncertain and or approximate dates using only the Year, YYYY? question mark string

Failed to generate date

2018~

Failed

To test the ISO8601 4.2.1. uncertain/approx. dates using the YYYY~ tilde string

Again failed to generate date

2018%

Failed

To test the ISO8601 4.2.1 uncertain approx dates using the YYYY% percentage sign

Failed to populate date field

So at least I know what dates, can be properly transferred.

We are looking at the integrity of the metadata contained in the METS file within Archivematica to determine why these date fields go awry in transferring to AtoM.

mathieu....@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2019, 5:08:34 PM1/17/19
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
We did some testing on this with similar results, documented in this issue: https://projects.artefactual.com/issues/10341