Setting up AtoM Dev environment

aiPod Drifters

Sep 21, 2020, 4:51:58 AM9/21/20
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

We are looking to set up an development environment for learning Symfony with the aim of

eventually making AtoM plugins. What version of Symfony should we use, 1.4.2?

Also I see, when I check the version of PHP running in my AtoM installation, it is 7.2.

But Symfony 1.4.2 runs with PHP 5.3. How can this be? Could you suggest how I would setup a development environment that would take this into account.

Regards

Dave Bonde

Dan Gillean

Sep 21, 2020, 6:26:36 PM9/21/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Dave,

Yes, AtoM uses Symfony 1.4.x.

Over the years, we have incorporated fixes and enhancements into Symfony to allow us to keep the application updated, until we are able to fully replace Symfony itself. Some of these come from the FriendsOfSymfony1 community fork. Some have been added by our developers directly. It appears that the community fork is not being actively maintained, but you can see that PHP 7.2 support was added to it.

In general, learning Symfony1 from the legacy documentation will tell you most of what you need to know about working with Symfony in general - any changes in the community fork (and generally in AtoM as well) have been about maintenance, and not major overhauls or new features.

The other best way to learn for an AtoM development context is to study AtoM's code - you can look at the commit history on the plugins in AtoM to find cases where we've added new plugins over the years, for example.

Some other resources that might be useful:

See the "General resources" listed in the second half of this thread for some overall AtoM development resources that might help you get started - wiki pages, slides, AtoM development environments, and more.

I'm also attaching a PDF that explains how a custom theme plugin is organized. Since a theme plugin is just a specific kind of Symfony plugin, it may help generally to understand how Symfony plugins are typically organized.

Google is in the process of moving from an older Groups design to a newer one, so the behavior is a bit buggy right now, but you can also try searching by the tags (in Classic Groups) or labels (as they are called in the updated Groups UI). We have a tag for "development", an "FAQ" tag, and a "plugins" tag  - and both versions of Groups should allow you to search using multiple tags/labels. Here is our documentation on the classic / older groups, and the labels we use in the AtoM forum:
Some links that might be useful in the older version of Groups, depending on what you see when you go there (and if you are still given the option to revert back to Classic Groups):
It looks like these may not work in the new version of Groups, but you can use the drop down in the search bar to search by multiple "labels" in the new Groups interface.

Good luck!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

AtoM - Theming - custom theme plugin installation instructions.pdf

aiPod Drifters

Sep 23, 2020, 10:03:08 AM9/23/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dan,

Really appreciate your extensive reply. This is very helpful! Thanks for your time and help.

Best,

Dave