Pipe-delimited data in scopeAndContent field generates bullet list

drba...@ucalgary.ca

Jan 25, 2021, 12:29:15 PM1/25/21
to AtoM Users
Good morning!

We're using AtoM 2.5.4, and while doing an import we noticed that pipe-delimited data in the scopeAndContent field in the CSV file seems to generate a bullet list in AtoM.

I'm not even sure how my users discovered this, but they're doing it anyway.

Is this a bug or an "undocumented feature"? I certainly can't find anything in the documentation, but perhaps I've missed it.

As well, I'm now wondering if we could just use Markdown in our CSV imports to generate formatting.

Thanks,

Damian

Dan Gillean

Jan 25, 2021, 2:44:17 PM1/25/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Damian,

I'm not surprised to hear that including pipe-separated values in the scopeAndContent field of a CSV import can cause issues - this is a non-repeatable field in AtoM, and AtoM typically expects pipe separators to be used for multi-value entries in repeatable fields.

I am surprised to learn that this leads to the creation of bullets however! This sounds like an unintentional side effect of some of AtoM's libraries clashing to me.

You definitely can add markdown to create bullets in AtoM with a CSV export, as well as EAD XML. I'd recommend using asterisks to create bullets instead.  You can also test this in reverse: create a record in AtoM's UI with a bunch of markdown added to some fields, and then export it to examine the output.

I often use the attached CSV in testing and demos to show off some of AtoM's Markdown.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

atom-markdown-test.csv

drba...@ucalgary.ca

Jan 26, 2021, 11:52:51 AM1/26/21
to AtoM Users
Thanks, Dan! That sample CSV will come in handy. It's good to know that we can use Markdown during the import.

Damian