Using built-in API to develop an external information directory.

pavanm...@gmail.com

May 11, 2020, 7:13:23 AM5/11/20
to AtoM Users
Hi All,

I have a ICA Atom: 2.0 setup up in my local server managing a large database. As the title suggested I want to create an external directory which will be available publicly in the internet for any general public. From the proposed directory, people should be able to search and browse data available in my local ICA Atom: 2.0 database.

But looking at the build-in API endpoints(https://www.accesstomemory.org/fr/docs/2.3/dev-manual/api/api-intro/) I don't see any POST endpoint that would accept various search terms and filters that is necessary for building my external directory.

To sum up i want to replicate search and advanced search features available in ICA Atom in my external directory. Is this possible using built-in API?

Thank you in advance. :)

Dan Gillean

May 13, 2020, 11:27:25 AM5/13/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

First, if you have AtoM 2.0 installed, I would encourage you to upgrade to the latest 2.5.4 release before proceeding. We haven't done a lot with the API endpoints since they were introduced in version 2.3, but there have been new options added to the Advanced search panel in later versions, and while they are not all explicitly added to the API docs, the section on Request Parameters begins by stating:

All search and filter parameters available to users via the Advanced search user interface can also be used as parameters to filter the API endpoint’s response, including boolean queries. In most cases, the implementation is identical, with a few variations outlined below.

The endpoints are for reading - it's not possible currently to write data to AtoM using these endpoints. However, for your use case of creating a search interface in another application, that shouldn't be necessary, so I can't think of a reason why this wouldn't provide what you need. See the examples in the link above, and look at how search parameters are passed in the Advanced search via URL when searching via the user interface, and then try applying those same parameters to the Browse endpoint.

Let us know if this helps!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager