Finding Aid for languages other than English

Ad Axem

Jun 25, 2018, 5:03:51 AM6/25/18
to AtoM Users
Hi all,

Another question related to the workings of the software for languages other than English.

Namely, for a dual English/Greek installation, when generating a finding aid from the Greek version of an Item description (either the Full Details version or the Inventory version) the following are observed:

a. If an RTF version is generated, the file contains English field titles instead of the translated Greek field titles and is missing some information, such as the Creators (which were linked to each Item as part of the English description CSV import, as this is not possible to import as part of a Greek description CSV import).

b. If a PDF version is generated, the file is as above (English field titles, missing some info) and additionally all Greek field content is displayed as gibberish, pointing to a wrong encoding used when generating that PDF.

Is there any easy solution to the above? Maybe there is a way to modify the RTF template to hardcode the Greek field titles instead of the English field titles, as no English finding aids will ever be required in that installation? What about the missing Creators?

Many thanks in advance for any insights you may have!

Dan Gillean

Jun 25, 2018, 10:28:44 AM6/25/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Efthimios,

This sounds to me like a number of smaller but related issues, rather than just one issue.

First: you are correct that currently, the English field labels are hardcoded into the finding aid templates. It is possible to translate them, however, in fact, our community has done so previously to create French versions of these. You can find the French versions, along with instructions on how to swap the English XSLT files for the community-created French ones here:
Hopefully this will give you a sense of how you could translate the XSLT files into Greek, and swap in the new files. If you do create a Greek version of the PDF and RTF XSLTs, please feel free to share them, and we will be happy to put a copy on the wiki for others to use!

Without having yet tested them myself, the encoding and the missing creator name both sound like bugs to me. The creator name is likely a culture fallback issue - you might try flipping the interface to English, adding an English translation of the name if possible, and seeing if that will at least allow it to display properly (or vice versa, depending on the current culture of the related authority record).

As for the encoding issue - I recall this being an issue with the default font used in Apache FOP. Unfortunately I no longer recall the reason, but our developers felt we could not include a different font by default in the AtoM release. However, we do have some instructions here on how you could use a different font with better support for special characters, glyphs, accents, etc. See:

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.