Create new archival description using a nonexistent Repository name

Carolina Melo

May 16, 2017, 3:39:53 PM5/16/17
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I'm trying to create an archival description with a Repository which doesn't exist in my AtoM. Is it possible to do it without create a new Repository?
I don't know how to proceed and I really need to do it.
Or, at least, is there some field to fill with the name of physical repository? It could be solve my problem.

Thanks a lot,

Carolina Melo

Dan Gillean

May 16, 2017, 4:51:10 PM5/16/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Carolina,

Assuming you are not using an account with customized permissions, then yes, you should be able to create a new archival institution (e.g. repository) record on the fly, simply by entering the new name into the related repository field in the Archival description edit template. On save, AtoM will create a new archival institution - it will be a stub record with just a name, but you can then go and supplement it later if desired.

Note that this should work during a CSV import as well - if AtoM cannot find a matching name for an existing repository, the system will create a new repository instead.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 3:39 PM, Carolina Melo <caroli...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to create an archival description with a Repository which doesn't exist in my AtoM. Is it possible to do it without create a new Repository?
I don't know how to proceed and I really need to do it.

Thanks a lot,

Carolina Melo

Dan Gillean

May 16, 2017, 4:55:35 PM5/16/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
In reading this again - if you mean, you want to add the name of a repository without *ever* creating a repository record in AtoM, then no, unfortunately, this is not currently possible. In that case, I might recommend simply adding repository information into a different field, such as a notes field, or perhaps Archival history.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.

[...]