LILIAN ISABEL BONATTO DA SILVA

May 23, 2019, 12:35:45 PM5/23/19
to AtoM Users
Boa tarde!!

Alguém podeira me ajudar a entender como é o funcionamento do Atom? E como e posso fazer a "ligação" dele com o Archivematica?

ATT

Lilian Bonatto

Dan Gillean

May 23, 2019, 2:22:22 PM5/23/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello Lilian!

Currently we only have documentation in English, so I hope that you can read English, or at least understand the translations that Google can provide!

However, there are some older community created resources in (Brazilian) Portuguese and Spanish on our wiki, here:
The  Portuguese ICA-AtoM user manual for example refers to a very old version of AtoM (about 6 years old!), but the general introductory information about what AtoM is and what you can use it for should still be mostly accurate.

There is also a Brazilian Portuguese user group, who maintain a Facebook group for collaboration. See:
Meanwhile, I will provide some general information and resources here.

AtoM

AtoM is short for Access to Memory. It is a web-based application for archivists to arrange and describe their archival holdings and put them online for public access. The application is multi-lingual (both user content and user interface elements can be translated), and multi-repository (in that multiple institutions can share a site). It is released under an open source A-GPLv3 license, and all of our other resources - slides, wiki pages, documentation, etc - are released under open licenses as well.

We have some basic information on the homepage, here:
You can find all of the AtoM project documentation here:

We also have a more detailed information sheet about AtoM on the Artefactual website, here:

If you would like to explore some publicly accessible AtoM sites that are being used in production by other institutions, you might find our example Users list on the AtoM wiki useful:

Many of these sites have added their own custom themes - some developed by Artefactual, some created in-house - so this is also a great way to get a sense of how you can customize AtoM’s look and feel to match your institution’s home page. You might also find the following slide deck of interest - it outlines some community AtoM sites who are using AtoM in interesting ways. See:

You'll find a number of other slide decks from past AtoM Camps, conference presentations, or webinars, on our SlideShare account.

The easiest way to get a sense of what you can do with AtoM is to play around with it yourself - why not take a look at our public demo site? See:

The login credentials are listed right on the homepage. The site is loaded with sample data, and you are free to make whatever modifications you like - the site’s contents will automatically reset on an hourly basis. Please note that for security purposes, all uploads and imports have been disabled.

Finally, to learn more about the history of the AtoM project, as well as our development approach and Artefactual’s business model for sustaining the project, please see the following wiki page:

Archivematica

Archivematica is an open source digital preservation workflow system. That is, it provides a web-based dashboard to wrap a number of open source tools together that will allow users to process digital content for long-term preservation in accordance with international standards and best practices such as the OAIS reference model (ISO 14721). You will find more information, and all the project documentation, here:
Archivematica can ingest digital content and use a set of user-editable policies to generate versions of these in stable formats suitable for long-term preservation. It will package these in an AIP as per the recommendations of the OAIS reference model. Archivematica can also generate lower-resolution access copies in more common formats for public viewing - i.e. a Dissemination Information Package, or DIP, as per the OAIS language.

Archivematica can pass a DIP to AtoM for ingest, so the access copies of your preserved content can be arranged and described. AtoM will maintain information about the original files and AIP, to maintain a chain of custody.

We have some slides here that outline how the two are related:
It is a bit older, but there is a video on our YouTube channel that demonstrates DIP upload from Archivematica to AtoM, here:

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.