Carriage return on Notes area

Pedro Graça

Apr 12, 2023, 11:54:33 AM4/12/23
to AtoM Users
Hello,

We just upgraded to AtoM 2.7.1, with the new theme (arDominionB5Plugin).

A user on our installation complained that he couldn't make a carriage return within the notes area of a fund description (https://arquivoatom.up.pt/index.php/manuel-teles-2).

The notes area in question contains a list of works by an architect and our user wanted to add one more line, but when he presses the enter key, instead of changing the line, within the existing field, AtoM adds a new empty notes field.

We use markdown notation to simplify editing and improve the presentation of information.

Is this behavior a bug? Or this notes field is simply not prepared to receive very elaborate texts with line breaks?

Attached is an image to better illustrate the problem.

Can someone help/clarify me on this issue?

Regards,
Pedro Graça
atom_notes_area_issue.jpg

Dan Gillean

Apr 13, 2023, 9:16:45 AM4/13/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pedro,

Thank you for letting us know. This does appear to be a bug in the new Bootstrap 5 templates! I have managed to reproduce this issue locally, and I have filed the following issue ticket:
I have passed this ticket on to the Maintainers for consideration - I am hoping we can include a fix in the 2.7.2 release, since we want to make sure that everything works as expected in the new templates before we fully remove the old ones in a future major release. We really value this feedback, and I apologize that this bug is affecting you!

As a side note: based on your screenshot it appears that AtoM thinks the user is adding a translation, NOT original content. From the look of the labels in this screenshot, it appears that the original content might have been added in the Portuguese user interface, but the UI was set to English when this person entered edit mode. Was this intentional?

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Message has been deleted

Dan Gillean

Apr 17, 2023, 8:03:40 AM4/17/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi again Pedro,

Ah, thanks for clarifying the language situation - and I appreciate your efforts to make it easier for me to understand.

I'm glad that you've found a viable workaround. In the meantime, the Maintainers have already begun investigating this, and there is a pull request to fix it that involves only a change to 1 line of code, as shown here:
While this has been code reviewed and approved by another developer, it has not yet been thoroughly tested by an analyst. However, if you wanted (either now, or after the ticket is updated to Verified and you know that QA testing has gone well), you could apply this one change locally to fix the problem now, rather than waiting for the next release and upgrading.

Whatever you decide, thank you again for reporting this!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Fri, Apr 14, 2023 at 7:25 PM Pedro Graça <pedro...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Dan,

Thank you for your answer!

It is not a serious problem that prevents us from working. We found a workaround. We found that we can copy the field's contents into an editor (such as notepad++), manipulate its contents there, and copy and paste it back into the field.

It's just a little annoying for archivists working on the system and deserves to be fixed in a future release.

As for your question about the UI language, yes it was intentional in order to show you exactly where the problem was... I Believe that in Portuguese it would be more difficult...;-)

Regards,
Pedro

Pedro Graça

Apr 17, 2023, 9:43:15 AM4/17/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi dan,

I've just tested the suggested solution and it didn't work!
Line number 87 of /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arDominionB5Plugin/js/multiRow.js.
I've restarted nginx, php-fpm and memcache ... I've even restarted the server, but no changes in the given behavior:  a hit in enter key results in a new field opened, not in a new line inside the existing field.
Perhaps it's probably better to wait for more tests.
If you need a beta tester I'm glad to help...

Regards,
Pedro Graça

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZK6ReX4tDsQQmL%2BL6AQKqe8K-vT8_3e9PhxRmKY1Y_Wxg%40mail.gmail.com.

Dan Gillean

Apr 17, 2023, 11:33:27 AM4/17/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pedro,

Sorry about that! One of our developers reminded me that, when making changes like this to front-end assets, we will need to recompile. If you installed from our code repository, then you can just run the make commands at the very end of the following documentation section again, and be sure to run make for the BS5 plugin as well - see the last part of:
If, on the other hand, you installed using our downloadable tarball from the website, then we will need to install a few more dependencies that are typically not needed in the tarball, because we pre-compile the theme assets there. Try the following commands:
  • sudo apt install npm make
  • sudo npm install -g "less@<4.0.0" n
  • sudo n stable
  • sudo npm install
  • sudo npm run build
  • sudo make -C /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arDominionPlugin
  • sudo make -C /usr/share/nginx/atom/plugins/arArchivesCanadaPlugin
  • sudo rm -rf node_modules
The above should cover both the BS5 theme and the legacy BS2 themes. Let's also make sure, with these changes, that the permissions are set properly everywhere:
  • sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /usr/share/nginx/atom
You may want to clear your browser cache before re-testing as well!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Pedro Graça

Apr 18, 2023, 5:58:56 AM4/18/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,
I installed AtoM using the tarbal download from the website.
So I tried to run the instructions to install the missing dependencies but running "sudo npm install" gives me the following error:

npm ERR! code ENOENT
npm ERR! syscall open
npm ERR! path /usr/share/nginx/atom/package.json
npm ERR! errno -2
npm ERR! enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/usr/share/nginx/atom/package.json'
npm ERR! This is related to npm not being able to find a file.
npm ERR! enoent

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
npm ERR! /root/.npm/_logs/2023-04-18T09_13_49_224Z-debug-0.log

Therefore, if I understand correctly, the file "package.json" is missing in the root of the AtoM installation (/usr/share/nginx/atom/).

Is it enough if I do a git clone to a separate directory and then just copy the missing file to the correct location?

I ask you for guidance because I didn't want to corrupt our installation, which is in production. I don't usually install AtoM through Git so I don't know what the consequences are and I'm afraid of messing something up.
Regards,
Pedro Graça

Dan Gillean

Apr 18, 2023, 10:34:06 AM4/18/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Pedro,

My apologies that this has gotten confusing, it seems it's more complicated than I initially believed. In addition to the package.json file, I think there are other build files that are not included in the tarball that may be needed, but I don't currently have a list of all of them.

The easiest solution would be to:
  • Undo the local change
  • Use your notepad workraround for now
  • When 2.7.2 is ready, install it using Option 2 (install from our code repository) as part of your upgrade process
That way, it should just be fixed by upgrading - but even if for some reason that particular bug fix is not included in 2.7.2, you could still easily make the 1-line code change and have all the required assets  in place to rebuild the front-end assets.

If this were not a production system I might suggest we keep trying to find all the build files, copy them, and then run the build task again, using any error messages we might encounter to help identify further files we need to find. However, because there is a risk with this approach, I don't recommend this for your production system!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Pedro Graça

Apr 18, 2023, 10:43:36 AM4/18/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Dan,
Thank you for your help!
Yes, I agree, it's better for now to wait for the new version and then install it with the git clone option.

Regards,
Pedro Graça