Katrina CP

Dec 13, 2019, 9:58:11 AM12/13/19
to AtoM Users
Hello all,

Is there a way to export accession and/or donor records, preferably in a CSV format, through the command line? The documentation notes an importation command, but no export command.

php symfony csv:accession-import /path/to/my/example_accessions.csv

many thanks,
Katrina

Dan Gillean

Dec 13, 2019, 10:57:26 AM12/13/19
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Katrina,

Strangely, AtoM does not currently have an export (either command-line or via the user interface) for accession records. This is something we would very much like to add to ensure that users can extract their data from AtoM as needed, but it will require community support (either in the form of development sponsorship, or community code contributions) for us to be able to implement it. You can learn more about how we develop and maintain AtoM here:
The accessions module in particular has developed over its life in AtoM in fits and starts - without an existing standard to follow, its development has been driven primarily with institutions trying to solve particular needs, rather than as a comprehensive module. Fortunately, thanks to the introduction of the Canadian Archival Accession Information Standard (CAAIS), there is now a more robust and standardized target, as well as renewed interest (in Canada particularly) in funding development of the AtoM accession module. I hope to see some progress in this area in the 2.6 release - I can't guarantee this will include an export, but at some point this will become a critical feature.

If your institution might be interested in sponsoring the development of an export routine for accession records, feel free to contact me off-list and Artefactual can prepare some estimates.

In the meantime, if you have access to a developer comfortable with crafting SQL queries, it should be possible to manually extract a CSV of your accessions data using SQL. We have Entity Relationship Diagrams of the database on our wiki, as well as some slides that introduce users to crafting SQL queries in AtoM.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.