Access copies: Master file contains errors, while Reference and Thumbnail display properly

Richard Chapplow

Nov 8, 2022, 7:21:11 PM11/8/22
to AtoM Users
I am running AtoM 2.7 with Ubuntu 20.04 on an external NVME drive.

I am having an issue with one series of images where when I try to access the Master file, it gives me an error stating that the file cannot be displayed because it contains errors. The Reference and Thumbnail images display correctly and the image shows correctly in the carousel.

The odd thing is that this is one series of images from a collection that has another 4 series as well. The other four series all display the Master files properly. I'm fairly certain I input and uploaded all of the series the same way, so I'm at a loss as to why the one series is having issues. Also it was the first of the five series I uploaded so if I did something wrong, I would somewhat expect that error to carry through the subsequent uploads as well.

Thanks,
Richard.

Dan Gillean

Nov 9, 2022, 10:21:40 AM11/9/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Very strange!

How were these digital objects added?
  • Individually via the UI, using the Link Digital Object option?
  • As part of a set via the UI, using the Upload Digital Objects option?
  • Via a CSV import with new descriptions?
  • Via a CLI import using the digital object load task?
How big is the image in question? Have you tried deleting the master DO and re-uploading it? Hopefully it was a one-time error.

Alternatively, if the issue repeats itself, you might consider:
  • Trying to link it to a different test description - to see if it's the related description causing the issue, or the file itself
  • Uploading it via the command-line, using for example the Digital Object Load task, to ensure it's not a timeout issue taking place in the browser during upload
Hopefully with a bit more information we can offer some suggestions on next steps, if none of the above helps you to resolve the issue.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Richard Chapplow

Nov 10, 2022, 5:08:34 PM11/10/22
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan,

Well.. This is very frustrating and strange to say the least. I tried deleting and importing via a .csv through the UI. Errors. I tried deleting and importing via CLI. Errors. Then I went to double-check the filesize. Ok.. That's interesting. The first twelve files were ~14MB while the rest were only ~4MB. Looking into it deeper, it looks like those twelve were actually .tif files that were somehow named as .jpg. I rescanned the slides, made sure they were in fact .jpg of the correct size, and reimported them. No more errors.

Very odd that they had the wrong extension. Probably some sort of glitch with the scanner software during the initial scan. Yay, more troubleshooting, but at least it seems to be an isolated incident.

Thanks for the help yet again!

Richard.

Dan Gillean

Nov 14, 2022, 8:57:10 AM11/14/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Wow, strange!

I appreciate the update Richard - thanks for letting us know what you discovered. I hope you sort out the digitization issue!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.