Save button doesn't work in "Rights management" screen after entering custom "Rights holder"

northernb...@gmail.com

Oct 18, 2017, 2:23:52 PM10/18/17
to AtoM Users
When creating/editing Rights management for an Item, the "Rights holder" box allows free text entry. However, if text is entered that doesn't match any of the existing Rights holder records, the Save button doesn't work.

If browser Developer Tools are enabled, the following error appears in the console: "Access is denied. autocomplete.js"

Instead of doing nothing when clicking Save, we think an error popup should display, like it does when entering an invalid date. Better yet, the error message should automatically display next to the field as soon as an invalid entry is typed in, or it should erase the invalid user-entered text.

Thanks.

Dan Gillean

Oct 27, 2017, 10:41:20 AM10/27/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

Sorry for the long delay in replying, I have been traveling, and wanted to have a chance to test this.

What version of AtoM were you using when conducting this test? Additionally, what Group was your user account associated with? Are there any specific permissions restrictions on the account - either at the Group or User level, that might be affecting this? Were there any i18n issues associated with this? For example, is the default installation culture of your site different than the user interface language you were editing in, etc?

In 2.4 I have managed to create new Rights records with a new Rights holder name added in the Rights holder field autocomplete, using both an Administrator and an Editor account.

I definitely agree that the usability would be improved if the user was given feedback when they don't have sufficient permissions, however!

In the meantime, anything else you can let me know that will help me recreate this issue is welcome. Thanks!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

lib-s...@unbc.ca

Dec 6, 2017, 2:50:12 PM12/6/17
to AtoM Users
I'm sorry for the very long delay in responding. I was previously using our Archivists' account to post, but apparently they don't actually check that e-mail address, so had no idea you'd responded.

This occurred in AtoM 2.4

It's not a permissions issue, I don't think. If an existing Rights holder name is added, the Save button is available and it saves successfully. The issue (Save button greyed out) only occurs when a name that doesn't exist is typed into the field.

Dan Gillean

Dec 6, 2017, 3:38:15 PM12/6/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi again,

I've just re-tested this in my local Vagrant box, as well as in the public demo site. In both cases, I was able to create a new rights statement while adding a new name to the Rights holder field, while logged in with an Editor account.

At this point my suspicion is that either this is something with your browser, or with your local deployment. Am I correct in recalling that UNBC makes use of a different operating system for AtoM? Have you confirmed that all the necessary dependencies (such as the various PHP extensions, etc) are available and correctly installed? Have you tried a different browser? Can you confirm that your full application version  (in Admin > Settings > Global) is 2.4.0 - 156? Is your site deployed behind a firewall, using a VPN, or using a proxy of any kind?

Doing a bit of searching around the web for that particular error message, the most common thing I see is about cross-domain requests not being allowed for an XMLHttpRequest; this apparently can include subdomains. I don't personally know enough to troubleshoot this, but if you'd like to provide me more information, I can try following up with our developers.

If yes, please send me (off-list for security purposes!) the full address of the URL being used tp make the request, and the full autocomplete error message in the developer tools of your browser. If you go to the Network area of the developer tools it should show you the full URL. Compare this to the URL you see when you hover over the file in the JS table and if these don't match, then the cross domain request is probably the issue, and hopefully the difference between the two is something you can investigate further and determine the reason why they don't match up. I'm not sure if we'll be able to make recommendations based on this information or not, but it's worth asking.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

lib-s...@unbc.ca

Dec 6, 2017, 4:49:38 PM12/6/17
to AtoM Users
  • The issue is occurring while logged in with an account that has Administrator rights.
  • It occurs in Chrome, Firefox and Internet Explorer.
  • AtoM is installed on a server running Ubunto 14.04 (it used to be CentOS, that's what you might be thinking of)
  • Application version is 2.4.0 - 156
  • Local iptables firewall is enabled in Ubuntu. We have a campus firewall, but both our workstations and the host server are behind that firewall, so it should't have an effect. No VPN or proxy that I'm aware of.
  • We have all the necessary dependencies, as far as I can tell.
I think you might be right about the cross-domain stuff. I'll send you an e-mail with the Network tab output from Developer Tools.

David

On Wed, Dec 6, 2017 at 2:50 PM, <lib-s...@unbc.ca> wrote:
I'm sorry for the very long delay in responding. I was previously using our Archivists' account to post, but apparently they don't actually check that e-mail address, so had no idea you'd responded.

This occurred in AtoM 2.4

It's not a permissions issue, I don't think. If an existing Rights holder name is added, the Save button is available and it saves successfully. The issue (Save button greyed out) only occurs when a name that doesn't exist is typed into the field.

lib-s...@unbc.ca

Feb 14, 2018, 4:47:47 PM2/14/18
to AtoM Users
Figured out the solution after some private messages. Figured I should post the solution here, in case anyone else runs into this.

In /etc/nginx/nginx.conf, I found this line:
add_header X-Frame-Options DENY;
I changed that to:
add_header X-Frame-Options SAMEORIGIN;

Then I restarted the nginx service, and the issue is gone. A custom rights holder name can be entered in the box, and the rights management page can be Saved successfully.

Thank you Dan and Jesús!

David

Dan Gillean

Feb 14, 2018, 6:24:07 PM2/14/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Great news!

Thanks for updating this thread with your solutoin, David - hopefully it might be of use to someone else in the future!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.