findingAid - character encoding

David David

Oct 19, 2020, 2:42:28 AM10/19/20
to AtoM Users
I have a problem with the help that you can't legerize a single accented letter (# instead of "ő") properly, what could be the reason? The PDF itself generates and there is no problem with the other accented inputs.

Dan Gillean

Oct 19, 2020, 4:42:08 PM10/19/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi David,

I don't fully understand all the details of your question (screenshots and step by step instructions to reproduce the issue really help us!), but I think I understand the general gist - some accented character is not displaying properly in your finding aid.

Like all other parts of AtoM, we use UTF-8 as the character encoding in our finding aid generation. UTF-8 is a very flexible and widely adopted encoding standard (it's become the default standard for how characters are displayed on the web in and in emails for example), and so it should definitely be able to support whatever characters you wish to display.

In creating your description, did you type all the contents into AtoM directly? Or did you perhaps copy and paste from another document (like a Word document or Excel spreadsheet, for example)? Or, was this description created via an import, such as a CSV import or an EAD XML import?

I suspect that the problem has to do with a mix of character encodings in your content - this can sometimes happen if you've been cutting and pasting from non-UTF-8 sources, such as a text document or spreadsheet. Similarly, if you created a CSV for import in Excel, it's possible it wasn't set to properly use UTF-8 encoding, and while most characters might have come in okay, some might in fact not be properly encoded - meaning AtoM's finding aid can't properly display them.

Have you tried deleting the problem character in the description, manually typing in the correct ő character into your description, and then regenerating the finding aid to see if that helps?

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 2:42 AM David David <intraco...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have a problem with the help that you can't legerize a single accented letter (# instead of "ő") properly, what could be the reason? The PDF itself generates and there is no problem with the other accented inputs.

David David

Oct 20, 2020, 4:13:45 AM10/20/20
to AtoM Users
Névtelen.png

Dan Gillean

Oct 20, 2020, 2:50:43 PM10/20/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi David,

Thank you for sharing the screenshot. If you sent further text with them, it did not come through. Can you please review my last post and answer some of the questions there? Thank you!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

David David

Oct 21, 2020, 11:20:41 AM10/21/20
to AtoM Users
I generate the PDF from the content I create and it applies to all accented characters, so I don’t think copying or anything else would affect the process.

Dan Gillean

Oct 21, 2020, 4:07:45 PM10/21/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi David,

So, you are saying you typed all the text for this record into AtoM, and did not copy/paste any content from somewhere else into an AtoM field?

What version of AtoM are you using? Also, what is the default installation culture (language) of your installation? Is this record created in the default culture, or has someone flipped the user interface and created this record in a different language than the default one?

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 11:20 AM David David <intraco...@gmail.com> wrote:
I generate the PDF from the content I create and it applies to all accented characters, so I don’t think copying or anything else would affect the process.

David David

Oct 22, 2020, 11:10:53 AM10/22/20
to AtoM Users
Hi  Dan Gillean !

Other contents got same problame.

My AtoM version: 2.6.0 - 184
Im using  Hungarian  language on site, by default.
PDF:  Language of description: Hungarian.
I dont change language file.

Dan Gillean

Oct 29, 2020, 9:50:26 AM10/29/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hello again David,

I have done some testing, and have successfully reproduced the issue that you describe in AtoM 2.6. I have filed a bug report for this issue here:
We will do our best to address this issue in a future release. If fixing this is a priority for your institution and you would be interested in sponsoring the fix so we can prioritize it for inclusion in AtoM 2.6.2, please feel free to send an email to in...@artefactual.com, and our team can provide you with a development estimate.

Thank you for reporting this issue!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager