Local Contexts Labels and Notices

cher...@ualberta.ca

Jul 17, 2023, 6:02:41 PM7/17/23
to AtoM Users
Hello,

Has anyone tried or thought of adding Local Contexts Labels or Notices to their archival descriptions in AtoM?

I see that there is an ArchivesSpace plug-in for adding them, but I couldn't find anything like that for AtoM.

I'm wondering how that might look like.

Maryna Chernyavska
University of Alberta Archives

Dan Gillean

Jul 20, 2023, 8:32:00 AM7/20/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maryna,

Great question! This topic has come up a few times before, but unfortunately there is no current plugin or add-on that I know of to support such labels in AtoM at this time, nor have I seen any creative implementations in the wild. I would personally LOVE to see something like this supported in AtoM, and I think adding such support is vital to the future direction of the project. That said, at this time I am not aware of any development plans already in the works to develop such a feature.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Dingwall, Glenn

Jul 20, 2023, 1:06:04 PM7/20/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

done

Glenn Dingwall | Digital Archivist
City of Vancouver Archives
1150 Chestnut St. Vancouver, BC V6J 3J9
604.829.4268  | glenn.d...@vancouver.ca

City of Vancouver security warning: Do not click on links or open attachments unless you were expecting the email and know the content is safe.

Hi Maryna,

Great question! This topic has come up a few times before, but unfortunately there is no current plugin or add-on that I know of to support such labels in AtoM at this time, nor have I seen any creative implementations in the wild. I would personally LOVE to see something like this supported in AtoM, and I think adding such support is vital to the future direction of the project. That said, at this time I am not aware of any development plans already in the works to develop such a feature.

Cheers,

he / him

On Mon, Jul 17, 2023 at 6:02 PM cher...@ualberta.ca <cher...@ualberta.ca> wrote:

Hello,

Has anyone tried or thought of adding Local Contexts Labels or Notices [localcontexts.org] to their archival descriptions in AtoM?

I see that there is an ArchivesSpace plug-in [github.com] for adding them, but I couldn't find anything like that for AtoM.

I'm wondering how that might look like.

Maryna Chernyavska

University of Alberta Archives

cher...@ualberta.ca

Nov 30, 2023, 11:26:41 AM11/30/23
to AtoM Users
Hi Dan and All,

I just wanted to share a quick update on this, in case anyone finds it useful. At the University of Alberta Archives, we have started adding Open to Collaborate Notices to our archival descriptions using a low-tech approach: by adding the OTC Notice image and text to the credits note field of the description. One example is here: https://discoverarchives.library.ualberta.ca/diane-l-persson-fonds We also add "Indigenous peoples" as a topical subject access point, and we linked that subject to a simple page Local Contexts which allows browsing archival descriptions with the Open to Collaborate Notice.

Cheers,
Maryna

Dan Gillean

Nov 30, 2023, 2:41:48 PM11/30/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much for sharing this example Maryna! It's really great to see a low-tech solution in action, which can serve as a model for others interested in a similar approach.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.