specify temp directory used by ImageMagick ?

elizabet...@mcgill.ca

Sep 22, 2021, 4:18:18 PM9/22/21
to AtoM Users
Hello all,
We are running AtoM 2.4 on RHEL 7.7 with mySQL 5.6
When we Link digital objects to records we find that the PDFs we link to tend to fill up the /tmp directory on our file system.

It looks like it's possible to specify an alternate path in the ImageMagick policy.xml file.
I wonder if there is a way to specify the temp path used by ImageMagick within the AtoM application instead of via policy.xml ?

Many thanks

Jim Adamson

Sep 24, 2021, 7:05:29 AM9/24/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elizabeth,

I'm interested to know why you'd like to specify the temp path in AtoM rather than in the ImageMagick policy file?

Thanks, Jim

Jim Adamson
Systems Administrator/Developer
Facilities Management Systems
IT Services
LFA/237 | Harry Fairhurst building | University of York | Heslington | York | YO10 5DD

elizabet...@mcgill.ca

Sep 27, 2021, 3:25:49 PM9/27/21
to AtoM Users
Hi Jim,
Our server is managed by a central IT group. We do not have access to files outside the application.  We can of course request that they change the entry in policy.xml for us, but I guess I am imaging a situation in which ImageMagick may be used by other applications. In that case one may want to be able to have the application specify settings when it makes calls to ImageMagick instead of changing global settings and possibly having unintended impact elsewhere in the system.
Thanks.

Dan Gillean

Sep 29, 2021, 9:26:15 AM9/29/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Elizabeth,

This is a very interesting use case, and I can see how it could be useful in a shared IT environment. At this time, such a configuration setting does not exist in AtoM unfortunately, and it would require some analysis and development to be able to add such a feature in the future.

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Jim Adamson

Oct 7, 2021, 8:28:59 AM10/7/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elizabeth, Dan,

Sounds like a reasonable use-case.

There appear to be two other ways to specify the ImageMagick temporary directory, other than in the global policy.xml file:
I guess you could monkey patch the relevant PHP file with the command line option as above, in a test environment first to make sure it works as desired. I'm assuming the aforementioned link is pointing to the relevant file; the relevant code could well be in another one. Another option might be to set the environment variable in the context of the user account running PHP, but I'm sketchy on whether this would be automatically observed, or whether extra code or config would be required.

Just some ideas I thought I'd put out there! But as Dan says the proper way forward is for an analysis and development of such a feature.

Thanks, Jim