Re: [atom-users] Multi-Repository Implementations

محمود محمد

Aug 11, 2023, 7:12:14 AM8/11/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
You can be guided by the Canadian experience at the following link:

We find in it many archival repositories, which you can search all of them through a single search platform, and it contains a variety of objective analysis and links between the repositories and their archival holdings well.

في الجمعة، ١١ أغسطس ٢٠٢٣, ١٢:٥٠ ص Kevin Dusenberry <kduse...@gcah.org> كتب:
Hi all, not looking for technical help, but instead have a much more fun and light question... does anybody know what the largest multi-repository production implementation of AtoM has been? I'm currently working on a plan to use Archivematica and AtoM in a (very) distributed way which would see upwards of 60 individual institutions all connected to one AtoM instance. The organization I am a part is based on a federal model where the bottom mirrors the top. I am the Digital Archivist of the main archives body but we have roughly 60 conference archives, each being separate and autonomous institutions, which are regionally based across the US.

Interested if anybody knows what the largest example of a Multi-Repository AtoM instance has been, or if I'd be going for the world record here. :)

Kevin Dusenberry, MLIS
Digital Archivist
General Commission on Archives and History

Dan Gillean

Aug 11, 2023, 9:08:10 AM8/11/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

It looks like Mahmoud beat me to it, but yes - off the top of my head, the national archival portal in Canada, ArchivesCanada, includes approximately 905,000 records from 780 different institutions. See:
It has admittedly not been regularly updated, so I can't speak to how ongoing maintenance would go if you were trying to have all institutions use it as their primary catalogue - I wouldn't recommend that for 780 different institutions! The  original intention here was NOT that all Canadian archives login and USE a single AtoM instance. Rather, each province and territory has its own regional portal (many of which are also AtoM instances), and these regional portals would regularly coordinate with their users to deliver new updates and content.

Some of the regional portals are quite large as well, and in many cases are actively used by multiple different institutions. See for example:
There are a couple other multi-repository community portal sites I am aware of in Canada, though these are a bit smaller overall:
Many of these sites do use AtoM as full multi-repository sites, but returning the ArchivesCanada use case, it is important to clarify before you go further with this project:

AtoM's current multi-repository functionality was not designed with full multi-tenancy in mind (i.e. where each institution has access to private versions of all the entities in AtoM). Instead, AtoM currently supports multi-repository access functionality. However, if you need full isolation between your users, there are some serious limitations with the current implementation. I have talked about these limitations previously in the forum - see for example:
Hopefully other international users will reply and share their examples and experiences - or you may find more by perusing the example user list on our wiki:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS