AToM 2.2.1 : Install problem with APCU on platform Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (LAMP & PHP 7.04)

jti

Jun 2, 2016, 12:22:21 PM6/2/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
When trying to install AToM 2.2.1 on Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS LAMP platform (PHP 7.0.4)
I systematically get an error with APC/APCU (PHP 7.04 is expected to use APCU).
1) LAMP install fine - see http://atom.localhost/phpinfo.php : ' Apache2-PHP7.0.4_2016-06-02.png'
2) APCU install fine - see
http://atom.localhost/phpinfo.php : 'apcu_OK_2016-06-02.png'
3) but AToM install stumbles with - see http://atom.localhost/phpinfo.php

... Looks like AToM expects 'APC extension', while it should call 'APCU extension' (PHP7.0) : if (!function exists('apc_store)||!ini_get('apc_enabled'))

Does that mean that AToM 2.2.1 doesn't work on recent distrib UBUNTU 16.04 (with PHP 7.0) ?
Looks like the 'elasticsearch' extension leads to tough challenges !...
Until now, we only used ICA-ATOM 1.3.1, which installation was fairly simple (sigh !)
Is there a solution ? I'll appreciate your advice....

Beautiful work though! ...
Thanks in advance.

     jti

Apache2-PHP7.0.4_2016-06-02.png
apcu_OK_2016-06-02.png
APC_exception_2016-06-02.png

Jesús García Crespo

Jun 2, 2016, 1:44:34 PM6/2/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

AtoM is not compatible with the version of APCu distributed by Xenial. There are several ways to solve this issue. I think the easiest would be to install the package php-apcu-bc ("bc" for backward compatibility), but it has not been made available yet unfortunately, related bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/1569016.

For now what I do is to build the extension manually as follows:

$ sudo apt-get install php-dev
$ sudo pecl install apcu_bc-beta
$ echo "extension=apc.so" >> /etc/php/7.0/mods-available/z_apcu_bc.ini
$ sudo systemctl restart php7.0-fpm

Another alternative is to make the necessary changes in AtoM to work with the new APCu API, but if we do that we'd need to keep compatibility with the old API too. Contributions welcome!

Jesús García Crespo,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://www.artefactual.com | +1.604.527.2056