Certain Collections No Longer Showing in Search

bwgpubli...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2016, 11:05:59 AM8/23/16
to AtoM Users
We are using AtoM ver. 2.1.0.

For some reason, a couple of collections are no longer showing up in searches. Other collections do, but a couple do not, including one of our largest. We are also unable to move records into these collections. The collections are still there, and can be viewed. I have compared collections that show up in search and those that do not, and see nothing different between them. All have the published status.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Peter Wilson
Emerging Technologies Librarian
Bradford West Gwillimbury Public Library

Dan Gillean

Aug 23, 2016, 1:05:54 PM8/23/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

The first thing I would try would be to rebuild the search index - it's possible that this is all that is required. Using the command-line from AtoM's root directory, try:
  • php symfony search:populate

See: https://www.accesstomemory.org/docs/2.3/admin-manual/maintenance/populate-search-index/

If that doesn't work, and/or if trying to populate the search index gives you an error, then it's possible you might have corruption in your database. This can happen when large operations are aborted mid-process - for example, attempting a large move, publication status update, or import via the web-based user interface, and having it time out before the task completes. In AtoM 2.3, we've introduced database transactions which reduces the likelihood of this happening - if an operation times out in 2.3, then the database should automatically roll back to the last known good state. In AtoM 2.3, we have also begun moving more functionality likely to time out via the user interface to the job scheduler, so it can be performed asynchronously in the background instead of via the web browser. 2.3 sees the publication status updates moved the job scheduler; 2.4 will see the Move module moved to the job scheduler, and in AtoM 2.5, import and export via the user interface will be supported by the job scheduler. You can see more of what's upcoming on our Roadmap page. For this reason, we strongly encourage you to upgrade to the latest version.

However, if there is database corruption, that can be difficult, so you might have to do some investigation first. One easy thing to check is whether or not all descriptions have slugs - there is a task that will regenerate the permalinks (i.e. slugs) for all of your descriptions:

  • php symfony propel:generate-slugs

Docs: https://www.accesstomemory.org/docs/2.3/admin-manual/maintenance/cli-tools/#generate-slugs

You can also try rebuilding the nested set - it is used to manage hierarchical relationships in the treeview. To rebuild, run:

  • php symfony propel:build-nested-set

Docs: https://www.accesstomemory.org/docs/2.3/admin-manual/maintenance/cli-tools/#rebuild-the-nested-set

If there are still issues, then it gets more complicated to troubleshoot. You can check first to see if all descriptions have a publication status. Here are a couple user forum posts with some instructions to try if you are still running into issues or errors that you suspect are related to database corruption:

You can always take a look in the webserver error logs to see if there is relevant information there. If you get an error, follow these instructions to check the logs and share the relevant entry with us:

Note that we have some command-line tutorial videos that might be of use for some of the above tasks. Video 4 covers using Debug mode and checking the Nginx error logs; video 5 covers some of the troubleshooting CLI tasks I've shared above:

Good luck - hopefully the first suggestion resolves the issue for you! Keep us posted.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.