prevent duplicate Person/Institution setting

Raphael Unterweger

Mar 1, 2023, 4:00:16 AM3/1/23
to AtoM Users
Hello AtoM,

we have found this setting in the identifier settings in 2.7.1, we haven't recognized it before, so we guessed its new. We've testet it by adding Persons with the same name and type, but the entry wasn't prevented. Do we have to run a script before or something like that?

Thanks in advance
Raphael

Dan Gillean

Mar 1, 2023, 8:34:50 AM3/1/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Raphael,

I was not directly involved in the project that added that functionality and have not tested it myself, but:
  • In English, the full setting name is: "Authority record identifiers: prevent entry/import of duplicates"
  • As noted in your post, this new setting is in the Identifiers section
I have found the original issue ticket for this feature here:
Here are the two use cases described on the ticket:
  • Given: A user has created an authority record that has a value for the Authority record identifier field
    • And: Another authority record in AtoM has the same value for that field
    • When: The user saves the record
    • Then: AtoM displays a warning that the value for Authority record identifier is not unique
  • Given: a user has imported an authority record that has a value for the Authority record identifier field
    • And: Another authority record in AtoM has the same value for that field
    • When: The user navigates to the newly-imported authority record
    • Then: AtoM displays a warning that the value for Authority record identifier is not unique
I have not tested the import functionality, but when the setting is enabled, then attempts to enter an existing authority record identifier into a second authority record will prevent that record from being saved. When you try to save a record that has a duplicate identifier, it will reload on the edit page and display a warning by the field:

an image of an authority record identifier field with a warning displayed in red below it
It does not prevent authorities from having duplicate names, dates, histories, or other fields.

I have noticed as well that this feature was not properly documented for the 2.7 release. I've updated the ticket to reflect that, so we can add some docs for this.

After quickly testing the feature, I've also filed the following ticket to improve the user experience:
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Raphael Unterweger

Mar 1, 2023, 8:59:14 AM3/1/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com

Hello Dan,

thank you very much for the quick and detailed answer :D

I get it now, the only field that is used to identify a duplicate is the ‘Authority Record Identifier’-field in the ‘Control area’. Thank you very much for the clarification :D

greets from Austria

Raphael

L Snider

Mar 1, 2023, 9:02:12 AM3/1/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Is there any plans for checking against names? For multi institution, we rarely use that Identifier field (plus for multi it would be completely made up and each would use different stuff)

Cheers

Lisa

Dan Gillean

Mar 1, 2023, 9:18:51 AM3/1/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lisa,

I am not currently aware of any plans to add a setting that checks for and/or prevents duplicate names at this time.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

L Snider

Mar 1, 2023, 9:50:10 AM3/1/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Okay, thanks! I thought that was the case, but just wanted to double check.

Cheers

Lisa