Mapping of Dublin Core data to AtoM fields

Karl Goetz

Dec 13, 2018, 11:07:48 PM12/13/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I’ve done up a table mapping AtoM UI elements to Dublin Core elements for our staff uploading data via Archivematica. I have since found the dc template page with similar content but isn’t quite as easy for our purpose, and doesn’t quite map to the flow as well. (These DC fields are also useful for mapping to things like Trove or other harvesting tools).

I was thinking about putting on the wiki but wondered
* would this be a useful resource to others
* where would I put it?

Any suggestions would be great!

(I hope this paste works ok for people)

AtoM UI description (item display page)

Atom UI notes (item display page)

DC CORE term

Identity area

Reference code

In UI this is prefixed by the parent Archival Descriptions ‘title’. Eg. ‘AD example – 123445identify’.

TODO: confirm

identifier

Title

title

Date(s)

AtoM supports a date range or a single date – if only the latter is used it is assumed to be a creation date.

date

Level of description

Should be from a controlled list, eg Item, File, Collection, Series, …

Type

Extent and medium

format

Context area

Name of creator

This also appears as a “Name Access Points” entry.

creator

Repository

Requires full URI like https://example.org/index.php/new-test-repository

relation

Content and structure area

Scope and content

description

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

rights

Language of material

language

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

source

Access points

Subject access points

subject

Place access points

coverage

Name access points

NAP has (Contributor) automatically appended

contributor

Name access points

NAP has (Publisher) automatically appended

publisher

--
Karl Goetz,  Senior Library Officer (Library Systems)
University of Tasmania, Private Bag 25, Hobart 7001

Dan Gillean

Dec 17, 2018, 11:36:35 AM12/17/18
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Karl,

A lot of the information you've captured here is already available as part of the data entry template page,, which I see from your post you already know about:
However, it's not in a table format that makes it easy to scan. If you'd like to share your work, I can think of at least 2 places it could be added to the wiki:

The first option would be to add it to this sorely neglected page on crosswalks. I copied this over from the old ICA-AtoM wiki when we migrated, and intended to review and update all the crosswalks, but haven't had the time! Consequently, there's not much in there now - but you'd be welcome to add something newer. See:
The other option that makes sense to me would be to add it to the Documentation section of the Community resources. You could add a section describing what it is on this page:
And then you could either simply link to your post in the forum, or you could create a sub-page that has more details, including the full crosswalk table you've created.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

Karl Goetz

Dec 17, 2018, 5:23:57 PM12/17/18
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,
Thanks for the suggestions.
I will not add it anywhere at the moment but crosswalk seems the best fit for it should I be motivated to add it in future.

karl.