Updating thumbnails showed in the carousel

cassi...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2023, 8:51:40 AM1/17/23
to AtoM Users
Hi everyone

Is there a way to update the thumbnails that are showed in the carousel? We would like to show new digital objects added to the collection after the first ten.

We have access to the server's terminal, if it is necessary.

Thanks!

Dan Gillean

Jan 17, 2023, 4:31:18 PM1/17/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

The number of thumbnails shown in the digital object carousel is tied to the Global results per page setting in Admin > Settings > Global. See:
By default this is set to 10 results per page, but can be updated. Keep in mind that at present, this is a global setting - so it will also affect number of search/browse results per page and any other list results that are paginated for performance.

Similarly, be aware: increasing this value can impact performance, as more page resources need to be loaded before the browser times out. So: if you set this too high, it could cause issues.

Note that user can always click the "Show all" link in the carousel to see all results:

carousel-show-all.png
Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

cassi...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2023, 8:47:11 AM1/18/23
to AtoM Users
Thank you for your answer, Dan. Increasing the number of results could be a work around. However, I would like to know if there is a way to change the images without increasing the number, I mean: is there a way to show the images recently uploaded to the collection and not the old ones?

Cheers

Dan Gillean

Jan 18, 2023, 10:37:17 AM1/18/23
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
If you follow the "Show more" link, then users can sort the results on the full search/browse page any number of ways, including by most recently added or modified. However, doing this in the carousel would require custom code changes.

I am not a developer, so I am not sure exactly how one would implement such changes, but I strongly suspect you would want to add new criteria to this file:

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056