Editing theme- "failed to create upload directory"

Matthew Bruton

Feb 19, 2020, 8:26:28 AM2/19/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I am trying to add a logo to my archival institution in edit theme.  I get the 500 error instead.

The png is the right size and type.

I tried all the usual troubleshoot commands, and nothing.

Anyway, the error log is attached and the first thing it talks about is failing to create the upload directory. Error 1369.

Is there a problem with permissions maybe?

I have also tried to do the exact same action with another instance of atom and got the same problem.

Anyway this is a new one for me. Help appreciated!
error edit theme.png

Dan Gillean

Feb 20, 2020, 10:21:25 AM2/20/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Matthew,

It does sound like it could be a permissions error, and that's the first thing I would suggest you try. Have you previously uploaded digital objects in AtoM - that is to say, can you confirm that there is already an uploads directory just below the root AtoM installation directory? Typically this would be found at:
  • usr/share/nginx/atom/uploads
Let's try resetting the permissions.  If you have followed our default installation instructions, it is the www-data user who requires permissions. Try:
  • sudo chown -R www-data:www-data /usr/share/nginx/atom
I would also suggest clearing the application cache and restarting PHP-FPM before you test again.
  • Clear cache: php symfony cc
  • Restart PHP-FPM
    • With PHP 7.0: sudo systemctl restart php7.0-fpm
    • With PHP 7.2: sudo systemctl restart php7.2-fpm
If the upload still fails AND you don't already have an uploads directory, you could try creating the top-level directory yourself. From the root AtoM installation directory:
  • sudo -u www-data mkdir uploads
Clear the cache, restart services, and try once more. Let us know if that helps!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 8:26 AM Matthew Bruton <matthewb...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi there,
I am trying to add a logo to my archival institution in edit theme.

The png is the right size and type.

I tried all the usual troubleshoot commands, and nothing.

Anyway, the error log is attached and the first thing it talks about is failing to create the upload directory.

Is there a problem with permissions maybe?

Anyway this is a new one for me. Help appreciated!

Matthew Bruton

Feb 20, 2020, 3:53:45 PM2/20/20
to AtoM Users
Thanks Dan,
Yes, that was it.
The only thing I can think of that the installations have in common is that I am using the all in one installer. Possibly that is not doing the ownership task.