katlego...@gmail.com

Aug 23, 2016, 5:12:44 AM8/23/16
to AtoM Users
since atom 2.3 release link appeared at the top of our atom 2.2 system, we have been experiencing error 500  when we click the browse by links,can  we postpone the upgrade or we are suppose to do it now?

Jesús García Crespo

Aug 23, 2016, 11:47:09 AM8/23/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

The application errors that you are seeing are probably unrelated to the software update banner. Running the latest version of AtoM is our recommended practice but it's not strictly necessary.
If you send us more details about the errors you are seeing we might be be able to help you. You can find detailed error events in the web server error log. We explain how to access to the error log here: https://www.accesstomemory.org/en/docs/2.3/admin-manual/maintenance/logging/#web-server-logs.

Regards,

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 2:12 AM, <katlego...@gmail.com> wrote:
since atom 2.3 release link appeared at the top of our atom 2.2 system, we have been experiencing error 500  when we click the browse by links,can  we postpone the upgrade or we are suppose to do it now?

Jesús García Crespo,
Software Engineer, Artefactual Systems Inc.
http://www.artefactual.com | +1.604.527.2056

Dan Gillean

Aug 23, 2016, 12:50:11 PM8/23/16
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi there,

I agree with Jesus that the errors are probably unrelated to the update banner, but if you want to turn off the notification, you can do so via Admin > Settings:

Jesus has already sent you the link for accessing the webserver logs, but you might also find videos 4 and 5 useful from our command-line tutorials: video 4 covers checking the error logs and other debugging tips; video 5 covers some of the most common command-line tasks used to troubleshoot issues.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory

On Tue, Aug 23, 2016 at 8:46 AM, Jesús García Crespo <je...@artefactual.com> wrote:
[...]

katlego lesole

Aug 25, 2016, 8:36:19 AM8/25/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
checked the error  log and this is the error we see

2016/08/25 11:23:09 [error] 11363#0: *20 FastCGI sent in stderr: "PHP message: Couldn't connect to host, Elasticsearch down?" while reading response header from upstream, client: 10.48.0.102, server: _, request: "GET /index.php/informationobject/browse HTTP/1.1", upstream: "fastcgi://unix:/var/run/php5-fpm.atom.sock:", host: "10.0.9.142", referrer: "http://10.0.9.142/index.php/"

2016/08/25 11:23:20 [notice] 11659#0: signal process started

Jesús García Crespo

Aug 25, 2016, 11:47:08 AM8/25/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

Your error log indicates a problem connecting to Elasticsearch. That mostly happens because Elasticsearch crashes because it ran out of memory. There was a similar discussion thread in this forum where the same issue was solved:

[...] the reason why Elasticsearch dies unexpectedly is mostly because the JVM has not enough memory assigned. The size of the heap is declared in /etc/default/elasticsearch, e.g. you could try "2g" if you have two GB of memory available. Once the value is changed you have to restart Elasticsearch. There are more details here: https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/guide/current/heap-sizing.html.

Regards,

katlego lesole

Sep 1, 2016, 7:49:09 PM9/1/16
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
thank you,we increased the memory,restarted elastic search and it is now working.