Running AtoM on Windows

Northern Rockies Museum

Nov 22, 2022, 5:29:13 PM11/22/22
to AtoM Users
Hello,

I'm aware, having carefully looked through the installation documentation, that it is not recommended to run AtoM on Windows. However, we are a very small institution, and the documentation also states that a skilled technical administrator may be needed to set up a virtual Linux application. Is it easiest to set up a computer with Linux running on the desktop, then? Or is there a way to run it off of Windows?

Thank you,
Margaret

Dan Gillean

Nov 23, 2022, 8:51:58 AM11/23/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margaret,

Whether your underlying operating system is Linux or Windows, AtoM is intended to be installed on a server, not a personal computer like a desktop or laptop. We do provide a fairly easy way to set up a local test instance on a personal computer (our Vagrant box - see the documentation or slides), but these are NOT intended for use in production, as they are not scaled or stable enough to be run persistently on the web and accessible to public traffic.

With that out of the way:

It will certainly be easier to install and maintain AtoM on a Linux Ubuntu server. AtoM uses a number of open source libraries that may not always have direct compatible equivalents on Windows. We don't test installations on Windows servers, and still strongly recommend virtualization as your best approach for Windows environments.

There are virtual appliances that can be used on Windows servers for production use. You would want to install an Ubuntu 18.04 image to run in your VM - after that, you can just follow the regular Ubuntu installation instructions for AtoM inside the virtual O/S.

So: it can be done, but if you don't have someone local experienced with system administration and virtualization, then you may want to consider other options, such as hosting or remote technical support.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Ricardo Pinho

Nov 28, 2022, 8:04:53 AM11/28/22
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margaret,
Or you can simply install Virtualbox and run an AtoM-VM.com virtual machine, directly in your Windows Desktop/Laptop machine, and have access to a local AtoM ready to use server.
Go ahead and give it a try: https://atom-vm.com/store/
Kind regards,
--
Ricardo Pinho