AtoM and Google Bots

stef.emi...@maxcommunications.co.uk

Mar 5, 2021, 4:00:01 AM3/5/21
to AtoM Users
Hi,
I 99% know the answer to this but it's a question that a client has asked and I don't want to just blithely answer them without absolutely making certain. I've built a WordPress / AtoM hybrid website for a client (AtoM is in an iFrame within  the site).

Some of the information held within AtoM is sensitive and will only be available to logged in users. The client does not want this information to be shown in search engines.

My assumption is that this information will not be visible to search engine bots and therefore will not appear in Google, Bing, Yahoo etc.

Am I correct?

Best
Stef

Dan Gillean

Mar 5, 2021, 9:37:42 AM3/5/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Stef,

If you're using AtoM's publication status (i.e. keeping descriptions you want private in Draft mode) then web crawlers won't be able to access the view pages for these records, so they shouldn't be indexed.

Another thing you could do if you really want: add a robots.txt file to the root AtoM installation directory, with rules about what pages to crawl and which to skip. Not all web crawlers respect these files, but the big ones (like Google Bing, etc) will. More general information:
There are also likely ways to impose further restrictions by adjusting the Nginx configuration file. Check the Nginx documentation for suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Stef Emiljanowicz

Mar 5, 2021, 10:26:08 AM3/5/21
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
That's great Dan - I thought that was the case and also thought about robots.txt but I just needed confirmation.

Thanks for looking into it.
Stef

--
Stefan Emiljanowicz

Web Development Manager

Max Communications Ltd.

Woolwich Office: 02036178835

www.maxcommunications.co.uk

www.royalwarrant.org/company/max-communications-ltd

Please note, this email together with any attachments must be treated as confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and delete the original email. Any use, copying, disclosure, alteration or reliance on the contents of this email for purposes without the named sender’s express authorisation is strictly prohibited.

Daniel García Magariños

Mar 6, 2021, 7:54:54 PM3/6/21
to AtoM Users
If Access points are used in the "Draft" entries, these access points will appear in Google searches and will be visible to all users. The users will be that the access points exists but will not show the draft descriptions.

Make sure you don't put confidential data in those access points. Depending on your content this might be relevant or not.

Daniel