MySQL very high CPU usage after deleting 2000 Digital Object

Raphael Unterweger

Mar 18, 2020, 7:20:09 AM3/18/20
to AtoM Users
Hi AtoM Users,

two days ago we had to delete about 2000 Digital Object and their Archival Descriptions, after several minutes the server returned a 504, and since then the mysql is using up to 350% CPU, when trying to access a bigger archival description php-fpm crashes and needs a restart. Any idea whats going on and how to resolve this without restoring a full backup.

We are using the Percona MySQL on AtoM 2.4.2

Already tried to:
+) restart all services (mysql, memcached, fpm,nginx, gearman, workers)
+) restarted the entire server
+) php symfony cc
+) php symfony propel:build-nested-set which crashed after about 30mins complaining about a Lock

Any Ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks in advance
greets
Raphael

Dan Gillean

Mar 18, 2020, 2:16:33 PM3/18/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Raphael,

I talked to one of our developers about this. He suggested that you try the following:
The delete-descriptions task, run from the CLI, should not be affected by web server timeouts, and will cascade to delete all descendent records. You may want to increase your PHP memory limits first - see:
For the future: while we continue to work on the 2.6 release, we are now preparing a 2.5.4 release that will include a number of performance and scalability enhancements, that should help our community with timeouts and resource usage. I hope for us to have this ready in about a month or so, but we'll see (these are hectic times we live in!).

In the meantime, let us know how it goes!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.
604-527-2056
@accesstomemory
he / him

Raphael Unterweger

Mar 19, 2020, 7:08:47 AM3/19/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

thank you, for the fast and competent and polite response ... again :)  Restarting the MySQL didn't resolve the lock nor the high CPU usage, so I was forced to rollback the database. The CLI delete script was a great tip and lifted a lot of worries from me. And yeah, I know, we are still on 2.4.2, but I had problems getting 2.5 running and then I run out of resources and we decided to skip 2.5, and so I'm happy to hear that 2.6 is near :)

So ... problem solved and thanks for your help.

and yes, we live in very hectic times, so I wish you a lot of  healthiness.

greets
Raphael

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "AtoM Users" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ica-atom-users/CAC1FhZJjOEXrP9WJ5Vm204oyPdtTSQz0PHz7cUo0OY44z-%2B5wA%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Raphael Unterweger
IUI - Innsbruck University Innovations

Dan Gillean

Mar 19, 2020, 10:20:00 AM3/19/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Thanks for the kind words Raphael - I'm glad that my suggestions helped you to find a workaround, even if they weren't an immediate solution!

Stay safe!

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.