LDAP support in 2.4.0 (feature #9765)

Elizabeth Thomson

Apr 27, 2017, 3:39:57 PM4/27/17
to AtoM Users
Hi kind folks at AtoM,

I wonder if you could provide a few answers regarding the proposed LDAP authentication feature in the 2.4.0 release road map.
A note in the feature history reads: "When a user authenticates for the first time an AtoM user is created in the database."
Will the new AtoM user be automatically made a member of the authenticated group ? Or will the new user not be assigned to any groups at all ?

Also, the artefactual issues page for this feature shows it to be in QA/Review (0% done).
Would it be safe to assume therefore that the feature will most definitely be included in the upcoming release ?

Many thanks!

Dan Gillean

Apr 27, 2017, 3:52:55 PM4/27/17
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Elizabeth,

I'll try to get more details on the exact functionality of the feature from the developer. I do know that any user account created is automatically assigned to the authenticated group - otherwise, you're a public user and don't need an account. From the way I understand it, the LDAP module will just create the user account - an admin can then further customize the permissions - e.g. add that user to an existing group (such as Editor, Admin, etc), or customize the invididual permissions for that specific user account.

RE: the issue status - generally, if it is tagged with a specific target release, it is going in. The exception are some of the smaller bug reports - we try to tackle as many of these as we can with the developer time we have available to work on unsponsored fixes, but at some point we might run out of time and need to bump some, to hopefully include in a future release.

If a feature is in QA/Review, it means all the development has been done - it's just waiting for testing in the public release. However, an additional comfort: generally, new features originate out of sponsored client projects, and have their own internal tickets. This development was tested and verified during the client project with a test LDAP server that was set up for the project. I tend to leave the public tickets in QA/Review until I have time to work on the documentation - that way I end up re-testing the feature again since its merge into the public branch (checking for conflicts, regressions, etc). So - this will definitely be in the 2.4 release!

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager
Artefactual Systems, Inc.