Custom Language to ATOM

Awais Ali

Sep 6, 2021, 1:22:47 AM9/6/21
to AtoM Users
HI every one
can any one help me how to implement custom language in atom , basically i want to integrate Hawaiian language which is not support in atom 1.3.2 . can any one know to solution to this problem thanks

Dan Gillean

Sep 7, 2021, 10:15:29 AM9/7/21
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Awais,

Unfortunately this is more complicated than it seems!

Both early versions of ICA-AtoM and the current 2.6.x version still rely on the Symfony 1.4 PHP framework for its built-in multilingual support. As you may know, this framework was deprecated some time ago, as it was replaced with a newer 2.x version. However, the changes in the 2.x and later versions were all non-backwards compatible - meaning that to upgrade AtoM to a later version of Symfony would require rewriting most of the application! This work was never sponsored, and as such remains an issue today. At Artefactual we continue to devise plans to create a next-generation version of AtoM that doesn't use Symfony at all, but given that this is very large-scale work, we expect it to take some time and it may be done incrementally over many releases.

In any case, the multilingual support that AtoM borrows from the Symfony framework currently only supports languages that have a 2-letter ISO 639-1 culture code - examples include English (en), French (fr), Spanish (es), etc. In some cases, specific locales are also supported, such as Brazilian Portuguese (pt_BR).

Hawaiian unfortunately does not have an ISO 639-1 two-letter culture code. Instead, it uses the 3-letter ISO 639-2 code of haw

We would very much like to see the language support improved in AtoM, so we can support more languages. However, the work required to customize Symfony 1 to be able to support this and other three-letter codes is likely very complex and expensive - it might be an effort that is better spent on moving AtoM to a new code base where we can implement better language support from the beginning!

There may be some workarounds, such as using a different language code and making your own local translations - however, these will not be perfect solutions, and at this time local translations cannot be preserved following an upgrade, so it would be a lot of effort for something that would need to be redone every time you want to upgrade. Other community members may have additional workaround suggestions for you.

I'm sorry the answer isn't better!

Regards,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
AtoM Program Manager