Rights management and system requirments

SURESH YADAV

Sep 1, 2020, 2:54:57 AM9/1/20
to AtoM Users
Dear all,
Good afternoon!!

we are using AtoM 2.5.

My questions:
1) Is there any way to allow all anonymous user to read PDF documents but restrict them to download?

2) One more question,  currently we are using AtoM 2.5 on Ubuntu 18.04 with 2GB RAM and 100 GB storage (AWS), it's working fine as of now, also we have uploaded 1GB pdf documents.
In the AtoM Documentation, minimum hardware system requirements suggested as 7gb RAM.
Can you suggest us at which point we will need to increase RAM? and how much more?

Thanks
Suresh Yadav, MS(LIS)
Library
Azim Premji University
Bengaluru -100

sakshi jain

Sep 1, 2020, 4:22:23 AM9/1/20
to ica-ato...@googlegroups.com
help me how to work & implementation in this editor

Dan Gillean

Sep 1, 2020, 5:13:40 PM9/1/20
to ICA-AtoM Users
Hi Suresh,

My questions:
1) Is there any way to allow all anonymous user to read PDF documents but restrict them to download?

There are a couple things to mention about PDFs. First, it is important to note that PDFs are the one type of digital object for which the user/group permissions don't really apply - even when "Access master" is restricted in the archival description permissions, users can still access the master of a PDF. This is because a thumbnail of a PDF is generally not useful - if the PDF contains text, then the users will need a full sized copy to be able to read it!

As for restricting download access - unfortunately, this ability does not currently exist in AtoM. Rather than providing a built-in PDF reader where we might control user actions, AtoM is instead just using the PDF viewer built into most modern browsers. There's no way for us to restrict users from saving page content in their browser currently - just as they can right click on an image in a webpage and save a copy. Adding the ability to allow viewing but restrict downloads would require developing a PDF viewer inside of AtoM, where we could granularly control user access rights and associate them with the User and Group permissions.

2) One more question,  currently we are using AtoM 2.5 on Ubuntu 18.04 with 2GB RAM and 100 GB storage (AWS), it's working fine as of now, also we have uploaded 1GB pdf documents.
In the AtoM Documentation, minimum hardware system requirements suggested as 7gb RAM.
Can you suggest us at which point we will need to increase RAM? and how much more?

This is unfortunately a difficult question to answer, as it depends on a lot of factors - the amount of records you have, but also the types of relationships between them, the amount of staff users and public users, etc... You may want to set up some internal resource monitoring to look at memory usage in the site. For example, in our Troubleshooting page we outline how the free htop utility can be used from the command-line to monitor system resource usage - though there are many other tools available for this.

Sakshi

I'm not clear on your question. If you are looking for general information on how to use Access to Memory (AtoM, an archival management application), please see this thread, which includes a lot of general project links and resources. If you are looking for information on atom.io, the text editor, then unfortunately you are in the wrong forum - this is a different AtoM! You can find a user forum for the atom text editor here: https://discuss.atom.io/

Cheers,

Dan Gillean, MAS, MLIS
he / him